Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what coolant type should I use when I flush my Coolant system. i have read about the dex-cool and green uni. I have seen the sticky of diso mike for not to use dex-cool and i have seen the other one that he posted on a different site that says use it. which one is it?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Flush all of the orange Dex-Cool out and replace it with a 50/50 mixture of the green stuff.

Dex-Cool is excessively caustic and contributes to cooling system wear. It's likely why our HGs are so prone to failure. There's currently a class-action lawsuit underway against GM because of damage caused by Dex-Cool.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In my opinion, the best coolant easily available on the high street is Valvoline Xerex G05. It is a hybrid chemistry, so you get the 5 year life of Dex-Cool but not the other issues.

Hybrid chemistries are becoming more popular and are already in use by many premium car manufacturers (BMW blue, VW/Audi G12+, and so on.)

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Zerex offers slightly better corrosion protection than Dex-Cool and green coolant, but you're unlikely to see any performance improvement. It's a solid product so feel free to use it, but it's not terribly necessary. If I recall it's also like a honey color, so if it does end up leaking you may not be able to identify it as coolant immediately.

Just be sure you flush the old coolant out of the system completely, use distilled water for your new coolant mixture, and follow the coolant bleeding procedure correctly. Those three things are way more important than your coolant choice.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MarkSF, do you use this in your disco and if so how long have you used it. anything you notice different or is it just as good since the day you put it in
I've used Xerex G05 in 3 Jaguars (6, V12, and V8), the 3.5 V8 in my TR8, and will use it in the Land Rover when I change coolant.

It is hard to see performance differences in coolant as it might take 10 to 20 years for sludging or corrosion to become obvious. Never had a problem of any sort, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.