Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
getting ready to install a 180 degree thermos(genuine from rovers north) and was going to drain and replace the dexcool with the universal coolant, just in case there is some dexcool left in the system, they tell me the universal mixes with all coolants, so is this ok to use? I plan on flushing with water before changing over, or am I better off just usng dexcool?
Rig has 141,000 on the clock and runs great ..... thank you all for the advice!

Cheers
Greg

·
Registered
356 Posts
dump that stuff out and put universal in.

i've been running regular green coolant for 8+ years with no issues

if you are really worried about mixing you could pull the block plugs.

·
Registered
188 Posts
if you are really worried about mixing you could pull the block plugs.
Good idea to pull blog plugs anyway to flush block well. Remove top hose from manifold outlet and flush crap out of block. There's much more coolant in the block than most folks realize and **** will settle at the bottom of cooling passages. Have done it a couple of times, bight light and a 12pt 7/16" socket or combo wrench works. RH side most difficult but access OK when knock sensor plug removed and starter cable pushed/pulled out of the way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the 180 degree thermostat in mine. I went with Peak Global after flushing everything good. Also added Royal Purple Ice. So far 196 degrees is the highest temp I have seen, and it usually stays in the mid to upper 180s. I expect the temps to go a little higher as it gets hotter throughout the summer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.