Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometime last year I replaced my coolant resevoir.

6 months later/ago i found a tiny hairline crack on the bottom of the “new” one.

Contacted the supplier to shipped a replacement - no charge.

The replacement tank has now failed in exactly the same place - a tiny hairline crack on the bottom, badically righ above the front pieces that afix in to hold the tank in place.

Anyone have any experience w multiple part failures (expansion tank in particular) in the exact same spot within 6months?

Attachments

·
1,818 Posts
Who are you buying them from?
Dave

·
Super Moderator
2,161 Posts
Man that sucks!
Good on you for catching it.
Sounds like a bad batch? Bad cast?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’d rather not say who i usually get my stuff from, but i did get the new-new one from another place.

Yes it does suck, but at least i’m getting good at it.

Yikes.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Need serious advice

As I did my regular under-hood check, I see my 3rd coolant expansion tank has the SAME hairline crack and is leaking.

It is seated in the fitments properly and even has a bit of play so I know it's not stressing the resevoir causing it to crack.

Why the hell are all of these cracking in exactly the same place??? And all of them after a few months.

No wonder I'm paranoid.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to change this out one LAST time.

·
Registered
588 Posts
So it keeps cracking and they are new pieces? So it might help to know which ones (brands or supplier) are failing out of the box.

Unless you live in a place that goes from below freezing to 106.9F everyday to cause that much stress on new plastic.

Personally that is excessive, maybe fabricate a heat shield to stop the thermal cycle? That's the only thing I can think of when plastic starts cracking prematurely.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Not sure what year you have, but I had the same thing happen with my 2004 and the expensive tanks that go with the 4.6 engine. I just bought the cheaper oem part for a pre-2003 and it has been fine for years.

Good luck.

Dave

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hunter, whats the pre 2003 resevoir part #?

My understanding is the D2 coolant resevoir is the same for all years (regardless of the 2003 MY “split”).

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts

My understanding is the D2 coolant resevoir is the same for all years (regardless of the 2003 MY “split”).
You are right, the tank is the same only the p/n was superseded from ESR2935 to PCF101410 though there are sellers who are using the old p/n cos maybe they have it in stock since it was not superseded.

there is a difference between expansion tanks on diesel Td5 early and late models but not the case for V8.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The spendy one from the dealership has cracked - although not in the same place.

Could my cap be defective and not releasing pressure at 20psi like it should????

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Could my cap be defective and not releasing pressure at 20psi like it should????
Yes it could it also MUST be tightehed to maximum otherwise the o-ring on is blocking the vent hole or itbdoesnt eal well at the top and that's a problem

·
Banned
20 Posts

I don't know the part number, and I know there seems to be the opinion that they are the same, but I last did mine in 2013, after 4 replacements in 2 years. Back in the day they were different because the 03-04 was a "special" tank for the P38 Range Rover and the 4.6 engine. The older DIIs had a different and significantly cheaper tank for the 4.0. I think I was paying ~100 for the fancy one, and I swapped it for a $30 early DII oem tank, and it has held. Rovers North has a $45 tank you might try.

I've never seen a loosened cap cause a leak, but I did make sure to replace the cap each time for the sale of bing thorough.

Good luck.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Coolant expansion tank - 6th fail

I am seriously starting to think it’s supernatural spiritual warefare.

Different spot than the aftermarket ones.
Same exact spot as the last dealer oem one.

Temps are good.

Wouldn’t over pressurizing enough to crack the coolant bottle blow a hose first??? I don’t have even a drop of seepage out of any hose connection - nada.

I am truly truly at a loss here.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Are you tightening the tank's cap to maximum possible all the time? did you buy them(tanks and caps) from the same supplier? might have been a defective stock from factory cos what ever happens within the system as long as the cap is well tightened and in good working order there's no logical reason for the tank to crack cos any overpressure in the tank should be managed by the cap's valve

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
4 tanks came from AB - they all cracked in their same spot on the bottom.

2 tanks came from the dealer - they both cracked in their same spot on the top.

Yes that cap is on there tight tight.

I can see no reason why this would/could happen either.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Post script:
I actually don’t think it’s an “over-pressurization” issue. If it was, I’d expect hoses to be seeping, etc. - right?

Therefore, it’s the tanks themselves, but statistically to get 6 bad tanks in a row....

I am stumped.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Wow, that's insane.

As far as pressure, I'd imagine another part like a clampnor a hose bursting before a piece of molded plastic craps itself.

At #6 I'd say it's a defective part so pics and a nastygram (or happy letter) to the company (prob not Atlantic British) is in order.

That is frustrating for sure

1 - 20 of 25 Posts