Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my '04 Disco "Salty" (aptly named I reckon) Has a coolant issue. It can go about 80 miles before I need to fill up the expansion tank or risk it sucking an airbubble though the system. I also notice that when shes parked nose down on a slope she leaks less quickly and can stay for months on level ground without leaking, as long as shes not being driven. She doesnt overheat though. Any help is greatly appreciatted! I called someone but they were very vague and quoted a fix of $14,000 and being a student in uni thats a bit out of my budget. Cheers!!:smile

Edit** Has roughly 290,000 miles on the clock and a 4.6 v8 unmodified.

· Administrator
2,424 Posts
Bard to say from your description, mysterious coolant leak is famous as an internal leak. I am currently dealing with one on my 2002. Mine has turned out to be a small crack/ leak in the block behind the pressed in cylinder liner ( needs a rebuild with sleeve replacement or engine replacement. Acted similar to your description. I am in the process of having mine fitter with flanged sleeves and will likely put me in the $2000-$2500 range with me doing most of the work myself.
Replacement engines run in the neighbourhood of about $5000 just for the engine plus other related pieces AND labour.
$14,000 sound high (sounds like they are trying to scare you away intentionally)
Try to find an independent Land Rover specialty shop in your area and have it properly evaluated. Suggest the check for combustion gasses in the cooling system ?

· Registered
225 Posts
when you say that it doesn't overheat, is this in reference to the factory gauge in the dash cluster? Or do you have an aftermarket device? You should go the store and buy a test kit like he advised. You don't smell the coolant coming from your exhaust? You don't have a check engine fault light/misfire/rough idle?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.