Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Desperately need help!

Today I decided to flush out and replace the coolant in my 2006 lr3. After opening the bottom radiator hose, I let the coolant all drain out. I poured a ton of water into the reservoir and let it drain through. I reclamped the radiator hose and continued to fill the truck with 50/50 dexcool through the reservoir. Left cap off, bleeder valve loose, and started truck. Turned on heat.

Shortly after, the coolant began rapidly expanding. My reader showed coolant was reaching 240F and temp gauge on truck went above 3 oclock position. I shut it off to prevent overheat damage. Ive let it cool and tried several times, putting cap back on, draining more coolant, squeezing the coolant hoses, taking cap back off, all to no avail.

I am baffled and although i just drained coolant from the bottom twice until the reservoir was in normal range, im now looking at a filled to the brim reservoir once again. Thanks.

UPDATE
I screwed on resevoir cap and started it for the 100000th time. Rather than bubbling up, it actually lowered, and the engine stayed cool. I ran the heaters on full blast for a good ten minutes and the coolant stayed around 200F. Shut off the truck and topped of coolant to cold fill line. Ran beautifully 5 miles back to my house.

When we left for dinner, boom it overheats within 2 mins. Pulled over immediately with temp gauge peaking around 75% mark. Shut everything down and waited 15 mins. Coolant again had expanded to the cap. Coolant temp was 226. I opened the resevoir and it lowered back to the fill line.

Started the truck to attempt to make it a quarter mile back to the house. Everything was beautiful. When we arrived I drove around our community for 20 mins with no issue. Seriously WTF!! Im afraid to take this truck anywhere... Anyone have any ideas on whats happening and what I can do to get peace of mind? Im seriously regretting changing my coolant!!

· Registered
3 Posts
Hope you figured it out since this post is already a couple months old. I decided to flush my coolant on mine a few months ago after the T shaped bleeder valve broke apart. Never flushed coolant before but figured, "How hard can this be? I can change my own oil, right?" :)

This was on a 2006 LR3 that had just recently hit 100k (was previously a very well maintained single owner vehicle). After replacing the T valve (ordered extras just in case), I did some research on the flushing/filling/bleeding process. Everything went smoothly for me until I had to start adding coolant to the system.

Despite how much coolant the system can hold, I maybe got in maybe 10-20% of the total fluid needed to fill the entire system. This is where things got pretty horrific for me as I couldn't find a good, straightforward way of bleeding the system (tried every combination of leaving T valve open, valve on coolant reservoir open, and reservoir cap open). During this time, I encountered a variety of errors and starting issues. One thing I remember is that it didn't appear the system was pressurizing properly as coolant was simply filling the reservoir and not actually getting pulled into the system.

I was about to call to have my car towed to my mechanic when I decided to have on more go at it. Forget what I did, should've written it down, but I got the system to draw in coolant and was able to slowly bleed the system to the point where I was able to fill it with all the coolant required. For me, the bleeding process was so slow, I had to keep coolant in the vehicle for about a week. Would top it off every morning before work and right before I headed home after work, where I would bleed it some more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.