Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my engine overheated. I found coolant in my engine. I also found that my throttle body coolant plate was leaking. I know it could be a blown head gasket. Before it overheated I had a check engine light come on, which was a misfire on cylinder 5. I check cylinder 5 with a bore scope and found coolant or water on the piston. I checked the compression on cylinder 5, and it was 160 pounds and is holding fine. I also found coolant inside my throttle body, just behind the throttle plate. I think coolant is running down to my engine from my throttle body. How can coolant get inside of my throttle body?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Nope, you have a blown head gasket, coolant can not run thru the t/body and into the engine.
How mechanical are you and are you going to do this repair yourself?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, you have a blown head gasket, coolant can not run thru the t/body and into the engine.
How mechanical are you and are you going to do this repair yourself?
I've done engine and transmission work for over 30 years. I've done 2 head jobs on Discos before. I'm digging into it this today. I did a head job on this disco when I bought it, about 1 1/2 years ago, because it was dumping coolant into the engine. The guy I bought the disco from said it had a blown head gasket. Stupid me I believe him. Found out in the end the timing chain cover gasket was the real problem!! I had the heads reworked back then. My guess is the valley pan gasket is bad since there was so much coolant was dumped into the engine so fast. I should know the real problem today. The only path for coolant to get into the cylinders with good compression would be through the intake valve coming from the intake, which would be a leak on the valley pan gasket, there large coolant openings in the front and rear of the valley pan gaskets.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like the leak will be coming from a crack in the head or a leak around the cylinder liner in the block on number 5. Since I did a compression test on that cylinder and the cylinder held 150 psi for a few days, I think the leak will be at the intake valve liner/bushing. Now I need to make a pressure tester for the head to confirm this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.