Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently replaced head gaskets on 96 Disco. Replaced thermostat also. When driving, coolant increases in volume and pressure. Temp gauge remains in normal mid range but engine is obviously getting hot with high pressure and volume. A/C works fine and blows cold. Fan has minimal resistance when shutdown and engine warm. Electric fans don't appear to be working at all. Do they have a fuse or relay and where is the sensor to turn them on? Also I tried some of that head gasket leak stop before changing gaskets. Could that have fouled the radiator? Can I change the fan clutch with normal tools? Can I hot wire electric fans to battery? Truck has 240000 miles so not really interested in spending a ton of money. Any ideas?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Do you hear the"roar" of the main fan from time to time? You should not be able to spin it freely when cold, should have some resistance....
You can test the aux fans by turning the key to on position, set the a/c button, and turn the cabin fan to 1. The inside blower should come on and the aux fans outside should come on.
If not, then check for voltage at the fans.
You can substitute a toyota carolla fan motor...it crosses over. Do a search for the part number. I think it's vdo 9115..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I can move the main fan with one finger but it won't freewheel. There is very minor resistance. My disco has the two electric fans. Is there a relay or fuse that control these? I will check the voltage.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
First, get your 2 electric fans replaced before you damage the engine. As for the viscus clutch, to see if it is any good, spin it when cold to see how much spinning resistance it has, then do it again after driving it, there should be twice the spinning resistance when hot over when it is cold.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Replaced viscous clutch and both electric fans that I got from Paul Grant and all is good now. Thanks for the help all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts