Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gang,

So I am getting a small drop a minute coolant leaks coming from the bottom of the oil pan where it butts up against the transmission. I can trace it somewhat upwards but can’t quite tell what area it’s coming down from.

I have fixed the leak coming from the timing cover, but now this one is happening as well. Are there any gaskets or anything back there that would cause this? I can’t quite tell where it’s coming from, but I can’t think of any component back that far that has coolant going to it.

Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2001 Discovery Series II SE7, w/SAI and without SAI
394 Posts
Sounds like the head gasket leaking from the rear and trickling down. Could be leaking from the valley pan back there too (I've had this happen once). You'll want to grab a mirror and try and find it before you take that apart.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Yeah, seems like Head Gasket or Valley pan gasket.

I don't know your schedule but taking off the intake manifold is fairly approachable and you should be able to narrow it down from there. Also, get a new valley gasket if you're gonna do that.

Otherwise the only way to fix that is replace both items...I cannot wait for mine to leak coolant from somewhere. But if it was at the rear for me, I'd do HG at that point and I'd have to replace all associated gaskets anyway with that.

Just my two cents, keep us updated!

·
Registered
2002 Land Rover Discovery 2
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, seems like Head Gasket or Valley pan gasket.

I don't know your schedule but taking off the intake manifold is fairly approachable and you should be able to narrow it down from there. Also, get a new valley gasket if you're gonna do that.

Otherwise the only way to fix that is replace both items...I cannot wait for mine to leak coolant from somewhere. But if it was at the rear for me, I'd do HG at that point and I'd have to replace all associated gaskets anyway with that.

Just my two cents, keep us updated!
Just as a quick update to this post! Still leaking, so I’m going to do a HG job. Kit ordered from Lucky8 with Elring gaskets and ARP head studs. Going to do fuel injectors, lifters, pushrods, and coil packs while I’m in there as well. More to follow!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts