Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thermostat assembly appears to have a small leak or crack. There is a strong coolant burn smell coming from the left side at the front of the motor. Hunting around I can see orange crust on the block and coolant in the housing itself (attached pic). Anybody have instructions to replace? I search and could not find much about the whole housing replacement.

Attachments

· Registered
7 Posts
I just bought my 06 Lr3 the other day... it had the coolant smell when i bought it but i knew from a bit of research what it was....allowed me talk the price down a bit also.

today i got to look at where it is coming from...and from your picture it looks like the exact same spot(common problem). Is your picture rotated at all? I rotated the image below to show what I saw... the end of the red arrow is where it leaks on mine.

i blew that small groove out with compressed air and then some brake clean to dry it out....after a few seconds i could see the area start to get ever so slightly wet/damp. Mine appears to be coming from the end of that channel in the housing where i nears the engine block. Not the sealing surface. My plan is to simply drain the coolant below that level....dry the area off...and place a nice bead of JB weld across it and let it cure.

Attachments

· Registered
525 Posts
I was advised by a LR master mechanic to change the whole crossover housing, which includes the thermostat, housing, and the crossover plastic. I guess the cross over plastic is also prone to cracking, it's not terribly expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.