Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a head gaskett replaced in December on a 1998 TD5 ( 54K ). Car still smoking and overheating so returned 2 weeks ago. Coolant leaking into pots 4 and 5. New gaskett tried and problem persisted. Another head gaskett tried and no improvement. Cylinder sent for pressure testing and returned with no problems/cracks found. Land Rover technical have no answer so LR garage think replacing the block for £3,400 may be the answer. Any ideas, as it's a lot of money for no guaranteed result.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
Have they checked both the head and the top of the block to make sure they are perfectly flat, you may need to just have them resurfaced.
Mike J.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Coolant

Disco Mike said:
Have they checked both the head and the top of the block to make sure they are perfectly flat, you may need to just have them resurfaced.
Mike J.
Thanks for writing so swiftly Mike, both checked. Initially faulty gasketts suspected but 3 tried and still coolant leakage.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
There has to be a crack or something then, doesn't make since.
Mike J.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
They only did the high pressure water test on the cylinder but it was obviously cold, so there may be a hairline crack that enlarges at high temperatures. Do you know of any other test that can be done at working temperature ? The only time I have heard of a head cracking is after it has been tightened too rigorously after repacing a head gaskett and I feel I am getting stuck with the bill. Many thanks for your interest.

· Premium Member
16,548 Posts
I wish I could be of more help.
Mike

· Registered
120 Posts
A word of warning,the Td5 head should not be skimmed.I worked for an LR dealer,one of the other techs was working on a vehicle with a similar problem and decided to send the head to a local engineering shop we used to have it checked for cracks etc.They,in their infinite wisdom decided to skim it,we,in all innocence re-fitted it.I happened to walk past as the tech tried firing it up,the comp ratio had raised to the point where it wouldn't turn over.We ended up buying the customer a new head.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Had to bite the bullet and pay for a new cylinder head. There is no obvious problem with the old one but there is no doubt coolant leaks when it is used. Big ouch !!!!!! but car going well and the financial pain will recede with time. Many thanks for all help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.