Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear LR lovers,
Lost all my coolant today while driving. Pulled over and seems to be leaking from the front lower right corner of the car. If you standing in front if the car. Can't tell if it's a hose or the radiator. I don't thin there's a hose there. It also made a wired popping sound as I pulled over. The sound came from the back if the engine. Kinda behind the dash. The temp gauge state in the middle the whole time. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance. Hope I didn't toast the engine.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
By your questions, sounds like you are not very mechanical, if that is the case, you need to have it towed, not driven, to a shop and have them check it and perform a coolant pressure test if necessary.
Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radiator was shot so I got a new one. Engine pressure ok. I took an infrared thermometer to the hoses and the top hose read 190, the hose to the block from the thermostat read 18o and the lower radiator hose ref 160. Is that ok? Is the thermostat stuck? How would I know if the thermostat is stuck closed? Thanks again DM. Really appreciated.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Well if the thermostat was stuck closed there wouldn't be any sort of fluid in the radiator, - so that's typically a good indication. It's probably fine, but it's good practice to replace it every so often - especially after a radiator swap.

The pressure differential across the radiator varies with make and model but 20F-30F difference between inlet/outlet is pretty standard. Considering that your car was likely parked with the hood up when you did testing (meaning airflow through the radiator was compromised) then you are probably OK.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.