Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my '04 Disco "Salty" (aptly named I reckon) Has a coolant issue. It can go about 80 miles before I need to fill up the expansion tank or risk it sucking an airbubble though the system. I also notice that when shes parked nose down on a slope she leaks less quickly and can stay for months on level ground without leaking, as long as shes not being driven. She doesnt overheat though. Any help is greatly appreciatted! I called someone but they were very vague and quoted a fix of $14,000 and being a student in uni thats a bit out of my budget. Cheers!!:smile

Edit** Has roughly 290,000 miles on the clock and a 4.6 v8 unmodified.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Try not to call it "she".
On the coolant issue, you have various possible problems. A physical leak in the system (hose, radiator, water pump, etc...). Should be relatively easy to spot. Start it up and watch for leaks.
The "not so good" issues are head-gaskets, slipped liner, cracked block, etc... Send in a sample of coolant to test for exhaust gases.
At that mileage, could be any one or any combination of the above.

Oh yea, 14K is brand new engine territory. DO NOT take it to those guys.

·
Registered
86 Posts
You can go to your local autozone and rent one of these http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/block-tester
to see if you have a blown head gasket. Also check your throttle heater plate to see if it's leaking. They are prone to leak from this area and the coolant drips down onto the top of your valve cover and travels to the back and the coolant falls right on top of your o2 sensor and follows your exhaust pipe and the leak appears right under the driver side seat location. Ask me how I know? :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.