Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
rovering??
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
today morning when i started the car the radiator light came on,but i had to go to some place, once i was there i was ready with my gallon of coolant thinking that it was low, just to topp it off. but when i open the resevoir it is full to the top... sure there was some pressurised air that was released when i unscrued the cap but all seemed ok
after that i have driven over a 100 miles but the light is yet flashing.
Any one know what could be wrong?
thanks to all in advance

·
I'd love to be in the Rat Patrol
3,205 Posts
That happens in mine too.
You can have the "right" amount in the tank and when the engine runs it changes the volume in the tank. Then the volume is wrong. A few more miles of driving and the thermostat opens and closes leaving the "right" amount in the tank.

In short you are short some coolant but wait until the light is on to add it. That way you don't add too much and wind up loosing it past the cap.

·
Registered
95 Posts
1st, somethings here sound odd. I have a 1991 and the resevior tank is only to be filled to the "X" post protruding inside the tank. I would say this is only 20% of the tanks capacity (same is true on my 1997 Chevy Tahoe).

It should not be filled to the top as some expansion and contraction go on in the tank. On the 1991, the dash indicator light goes on when the tank is nearly empty. It is an electric float/switch in the tank cap.

If my understanding is correct collant may be expanding out of the tank and effecting the electrical connections to the cap.

·
3,205 Posts
I don't know if that is the case.
In my case I am loosing coolant due to the head gasket problem.
He is low and as glencoff said fill it only to the top of the X post in the tank.

There sounds like one there is an air pocket in there or you are loosing coolant somehow. If you want to fill the system without any air you must fill it from the highest point which is the tube at the top of the engine. That is the "official" fill point.

You can see it in this picture the word 'Air" from 'Air Hose" is on top of the fill pipe.

·
rovering??
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am loosing coolant due to a small pinhole in the headgasket too.
i topped off the coolant this morning.
also cleaned the sensor connection pins on the cap, to no luck the light just wont stop flashing.

·
3,205 Posts
Okay my connectors were corroded too.
But! I bet the wire has broken inside the plug.
Mine was broken. If it is a corroded as mine was theres a good chance the wire is broken. I soldered mine back on to the connector added some heat shrink and WA-LA all better.

You realise that this will eventually cause you to start blowing heater hoses...
If you missed my other post mine is toast and we are swapping out motors next weekend. :bawling:

·
rovering??
689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would have loved to help

i am sorry about the blown motor.
really would have loved to help u swap the motor.
where would u say the wire is broken inside the plug ? inside the plastic cap? coz at the connection pin it looks just fine.

·
Registered
127 Posts
coolant light flashing......

Hi 1st Rover,

The low level coolant & low level windshield wash are very similar flashing icons on the dash. A Land Rover tech told me that RRC owners very often are confusing the two. :confused
This is probaly not your case, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Andy :)

·
3,205 Posts
From your pic you don't have the type of plug I was describing. Someone has already removed it. I don't know what to say now.

Do you have a spare cap to test?
Or pull the cap out and see if moving the float manually changes the conditions on the Low Signal Lamp.

·
Registered
95 Posts
OK, let's nail this one. To test the coolant level sensor just unscrew cap and move the float up. Light should go off. If not, jumper the two metal contacts on cap wired connected. Light should go out. If not, wiring problem.

Maybe I have had no problems at 173K with pinhole leak since I had valve job done at 105K.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.