Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Barely Mechanically Inclined
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I inherited a Lesley reservoir tank on my 2001 Disco 2. I have a replacement tank. On the faulty one, there is a place on the bottom that was plugged with a screw, hence the leak. When I went to install the new one, I have no idea where the hose is, or is supposed to be, that attached to the 1/4" stub that is one the bottom. Anyone know where this is supposed to lead and attach to? Any pics out there? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 1/4" line should go from the bottom of the expansion tank, wrap around along the front of the radiator to the 1/4" fitting at top of the opposite side (driver's side) of the radiator. This is the vent line for the radiator that terminates at the expansion tank.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response Matt. Another question for clarity. I found a diagram of the cooling system. It looks like the hose that attaches to the bottom of the expansion tank actually leads to the throttle housing...and the hose that leads to the radiator goes to the top part of the expansion tank close to the cap. Does this make sense?

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
87 Posts
You are correct. The small hose at the top of the expansion tank (near the cap) goes to the radiator and the hose from the bottom of the expansion tank goes to the throttle body. The throttle body hose is problematic and often develops leaks. It is for very cold enviroments and many folks just disconnect and/or jumper it out with no ill effects to the vehicle. I have mine plugged and have had no issues with this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
throttle body heater

throttle body heater is a must I drove my 04 without it and experienced icing on the freeway in Wisconsin doing 75 was not fun when I came up on traffic ended up being a kinked hose ...Scary not being able to stop even when applying the brakes....it happened a few times at different speeds the cables were not binding anywhere so I looked into TB icing and found the kinked hose :)

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the input fellas. I just bought a length of hose and went ahead and attached it. I figured if they put it there when they built it, maybe I should put it back.

Now I'm going to tackle replacing the master cylinder. It has a leak, and while my son was driving it, the brake pedal went tot he floor and scared the crap out of him. Pissed off the wife too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.