Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

My D2 93k miles has a coolant smell that is coming from the back of the engine, no coolant drops when parked, and no obvious signs of the reservoir getting low, so the leak must be slight.

Looking behind the engine I see oilyness, but nothing that looks like a coolant leak.

Head gasket was changed (not by me) years ago at 65k miles, and engine runs strong, no oil in the rad.

should I;

Drain yucky orange stuff and replace it with nice green stuff and add a leak sealant
drain the yucky orange stuff and replace it with nice green stuff and add dye
drain the yucky orange stuff and replace it with nice green stuff
Try not to smell the car so much

·
Drives like an old man
446 Posts
Option #4 sounds the best! In reality, the yucky orange stuff may be the cause. It's actually corrosive. Leak sealants rarely help and often hurt. I would go with option #3 , unless someone else knows something I don't (often the case).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With my eyeballs?

Or... Option #5 . Get a pressure tester and find the leak.

If it's behind the engine, it's either head gaskets, an intake manifold leak or if on the right side, heater core in/out connectors (they're rubber)
And when I have the system pressured up I should just be looking with my eyeballs, for little leaks and stuff? it must be super hard to see something like that. Are there any pro tips I can apply when looking?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Jack it way up and crawl underneath. Get some bright lights and work mirrors on extensions. And patience. Or just wait. It's going to get worse.

Go out right now and get a temp gauge that plugs into your OBD port. The one on the dash is a decoration. Once it starts to move, your engine is already hurt. Scangauge is a favorite around here.

A little antifreese make s alot of smell. It's probably rolling down and hitting the windstream and spreading all over the underneath and evaporating. Whatever residue is probably blending in with your valve cover and oil pan leaks- they almost all have them.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jack it way up and crawl underneath. Get some bright lights and work mirrors on extensions. And patience. Or just wait. It's going to get worse.

Go out right now and get a temp gauge that plugs into your OBD port. The one on the dash is a decoration. Once it starts to move, your engine is already hurt. Scangauge is a favorite around here.

A little antifreese make s alot of smell. It's probably rolling down and hitting the windstream and spreading all over the underneath and evaporating. Whatever residue is probably blending in with your valve cover and oil pan leaks- they almost all have them.
would a little bit of dye help? what is an ideal temperature range?

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Maybe. Never tried it. Leaks usually leak more when they're hot. Coolant isn't hard to spot. The undersides of these trucks are usually pretty oily and greasy. The water beads up on everything it's on.

Are you sure you don't just have a bad cap and are getting some splurt out of the drop tube off the tank?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Smelly Smells

Maybe. Never tried it. Leaks usually leak more when they're hot. Coolant isn't hard to spot. The undersides of these trucks are usually pretty oily and greasy. The water beads up on everything it's on.

Are you sure you don't just have a bad cap and are getting some splurt out of the drop tube off the tank?
I might be, as in, the drop tube drippy drops and then splashes onto the firewall and smells back there. There do appear to be a few little drops at the end of the stick.

I have a little USB scope in the mail and I will see what it shows.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I might be, as in, the drop tube drippy drops and then splashes onto the firewall and smells back there. There do appear to be a few little drops at the end of the stick.

I have a little USB scope in the mail and I will see what it shows.

Thanks a bunch for the help!
Best bet. Buy a new cap and pressure wash everything thoroughly. If your leak stops, you're golden. If it doesn't, it should be easier to find.

Those catch tanks can be problematic- they can crack and at first give you intermittent leaks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.