Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i bought this truck a few months ago, slowly fixing little things here and there. Coolant temp gauge always seemed a little off. It always seems to read low on the gauge, even though with the scan tool I read 178 degrees when warmed up. Not knowing history of the vehicle before i bought it, I decided it would be best to replace the water pump and thermostat. bled the system several times, but the gauge almost makes it to the halfway mark where it should be. Now that outside temps are dropping(its about 40 degrees f out now), it the temp gauge stops around 1/4-1/3 hot, not even coming close to the half way mark. Heat blows hot, upper radiator hose is hot, ac fans are not constantly running. replaced viscus fan clutch earlier as well. Figured it war just a temp sensor issue, so i swapped for a new sensor and the gauge doesnt even move. Using the scan tool, i can read temp fine at the ecm, but nothing at the gauge. swapped back to the old sensor, and that didnt change anything either. so following the wiring diagrams, looks like pins 1 and 2 are for the gauge. resistance check from bcm connector g, pin 19 to pin 2 at sensor shows .5 ohms. pin 1 to ground shows resistance of 2.5 ohms. Now I have no gauge reading and stuck for ideas on this one. thanks- jake

·
very disco
1,842 Posts
Does the P38 have the same (3 position) temp “gauge” as the d2? If so, it may just be a bad gauge?

my logic being, if you saw a “gauge” reading of any other other than low, nominal, or high... it’s probably a faulty gauge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not sure how these ones operate. I know they are not the most accurate gauge by far, but to appease the customer, the needle always sits in the middle when warm. in this case, im the customer and it just annoys the hell out of me

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I looked in rave, can’t find what I need to diagnose this one. Everything from the coolant temp sensor to the becm operates fine. So now is down to becm, coolant gauge, and wiring between. Is it common for the gauge to stop working on these trucks? That’s kinda what it seems like is the issue but I want to be 100% first. Any good way to test the gauge? I was hoping one of my scan tools would have a gauge sweep test, but no luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts