Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I've been chasing an issue with my Disco for sometime now. Unfortunately,due to that it sat undriven for a while. I have tried everything imaginable to get the air out of the system to no avail. The HG were swapped last year. I've tried the Rave method, airlift, and even the Lisel funnel. After two oil changes I'm still not showing any mixing with coolant. Block gas test passed. Not one plug looks steam cleaned. No weird odors from exhaust. I still have a waterfall noise in the dash and my heat fluctuates when sitting at a light. I really need to figure this out as the Rover is my primary ride in weather like we've had recently.

·
1,854 Posts
swap the hoses to the heater matrix. If that does not work. Take a garden hose using low pressure and run water through the hoses to the heater matrix to get it unclogged.
Dave

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to give that a shot as soon as the snow clears up. Biggest snowstorm in nearly 20 years and the reliable rover couldn't play. Driving the RWD Charger in snow isn't quite as fun. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Running water through heater is a good idea to check for good flow/blockage.

My system has been wide open on several occasions over the last couple of months but have not encountered the noise or heat flux. I basically bleed per the manual procedure and then do several subsequent bleeds. Those are done when stone cold by removing just the bleed screw and use a small funnel to add coolant directly into the top hoses. Drive normally and repeat daily until no air left in the top hoses. It's simple and reduces coolant spillage. It works for me and another forum member reported good result by using same procedure. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the input. Pressure tested the cooling system at 17#for 20 mins with no loss in pressure. What I did find is a leak from the base of the radiator. I also ran the water through the heater core which eliminated the sound. Plugs looked good. So guess it's time to replace the radiator now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Giday RX, first time I did the coolant I opened he screw on the top hose full took the thing out and had a good flow near on hitting the bonnet. Thought must have bled all the air so went away happy. Unfortunately I was wrong. What I did was to just open the bleeding screw a small amount and in doing this I noticed that I had air escaping from it. It took a long time for all the bubbles to stop. Once they did I opened the screw all out and there was no flow hitting the bonnet in fact little fluid came out of the hose. I have not had a problem since.

Hope this helps Peter

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did that as well. I'm guessing the noise was air in the heater core since it seems to be gone now after the flush/backflush. Unfortunately it looks like I'll be doing this all over next week when the radiator arrives.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.