Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 87 EFI is causing me problems. Poor running has been traced to the air flow meter. Now that that has been sorted out the oil light stays on at tickover but goes out at 1500rpm.
When fitting a new cam and lifters recently one lifter had the bottom surface sheared off by the cam as it was stuck in its bore. I never found the sheared part when draining the oil and wonder if bits of it it have not been picked up by the pump.
My mechanic is going to to an oil pressure check to make sure it is not the release valve or sender.
Before he strips it all down, I would like to know if a worn pump could be the cause of the problem or if I am kidding myself and am really the engine is on its lasts legs...It was running great recently.
Thanks for your input,
Philippe

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
Phillipe,
Lifters are a hardened alloy with a rockwell in the range of 50C so it's likely that the broken pice off the bottom of the lifter is one large piece rather than alot of small fines. The pump screen should have prevented most any debris getting to the gears, but it's always possible. Low engine oil pressure is most always a combination of worn jounals, cam, rods (wrist pin and big end, and crank. This coupled with worn pump gears and pump bottom plate allow oil to flow more freely,creating a pressure drop.
Oil pump senders aren't the best translators of actual conditions, so your mechanic is proceeding as I would; rule out the electrics and get an actual reading with a mechanical guage at the pump. If that comes back poorly, drop the bottom plate off the pump, inspect the gears and follow the shop manual for checking the clearances between gear ends and bottom plate.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.