Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, is there a way to remove plug wires on the distributor end? It appeared there was no room and my hands are too big to possibly remove and replace wires at the distributor end? Any possible idea to do is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
If you have SAI, you may have to remove the intake to get the job done. On my 99, I remove the hood and lay a blanket across the top of the engine. Go to the auto parts store and buy a spark-plug boot removal tool. This should help you get them off. Going on, they are much easier, and even with my "man-hands" it is fairly straight forward.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes there is a way, and my hands are bigger then yours. How mechanical are you, what years i your Disco and who's wires will you be installing?

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
I'm not gonna comment on the hand-measuring contest but I will say that the process is a whole lot easier if you remove the upper intake plenum. Yes it does add about an hour to both disassembly and reassembly but you'll be spared a lot of anger and bruised hands. Just make sure you have a new gasket handy and be doubly sure to check the vacuum connections.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hi Mike,

I'm mechanical inclined, and it is a 2002 Disco series 2. Is it possible to replace the wires without removing the intake plenum? Have not bought new wires yet. The existing wires are 20k miles old.

Which brand of plug wire would you recommend? Maybe I should replace them again. Please let me know your method of accessing plug wires at the distributor end?

I need to check wire resistances on a couple of wires which got fouled up by leaking valve cover gaskets. The car is not running smoothly, and missing a little bit like they werenot getting proper sparks from spark plugs. All spark plugs are brand new and got replaced a couple of hundred miles ago.

I thank you so much for those members who have help me with their ideas.

Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not worth the time and effort if you ask me. I tried to attempt this once and wasted an hour of my life I could have spent with my wife that I will never get back. Not to mention the burn on my hand, the cut on my wrist and the frustration and headache felt afterwards.

If you or a loved one values your time and energy, Just pay a shop to do it for you while you spend time on things that really matter.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
For $250 to $300 it is better to do it your self.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Hi Mike,

I'm mechanical inclined, and it is a 2002 Disco series 2. Is it possible to replace the wires without removing the intake plenum? Have not bought new wires yet. The existing wires are 20k miles old.

Which brand of plug wire would you recommend? Maybe I should replace them again. Please let me know your method of accessing plug wires at the distributor end?

I need to check wire resistances on a couple of wires which got fouled up by leaking valve cover gaskets. The car is not running smoothly, and missing a little bit like they werenot getting proper sparks from spark plugs. All spark plugs are brand new and got replaced a couple of hundred miles ago.

I thank you so much for those members who have help me with their ideas.

Thanks
You might want to snd me your number and I'll walk you thru what to do. As for wires, buy either a set of 8 STI or Magnecor wires, both able to handle 50,000 volts, as for plugs consider a set of E3-48 plugs which will give you a lot of low end torque and better MPG.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts