Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all,
I am new to this forum and I'd like to intoduce myself with a question for anybody that cares to answer.
I have heard that LRNA has repaired the cracked exhaust manifold as a recall. I have a 97 Discovery SD that has the passenger side manifold cracked. When I called LRNA they said the recall covers just newer models, but for what I have heard there is a lot of people with this problem and not just the newer Discos, but the Ranges, as well as the Defenfers and from different years. Does anybody know anything about this??

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts
I have the problem...but never heard about the recall..But I have a 92 RRC...I doubt they will still cover that!

·
Registered
528 Posts
I had this problem for a while to the point where it became severe. It had actually caused quite a bit of damage to my point, and it cost about $100 to fix with a muffler shop. I had no idea there was a recall on this problem. Would I be compensated for the $100 as well as some of the paint damage even though my disco is not under warranty? BTW, it's a 95 3.9L discovery SE7

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, There is a recall for the Ranges 2000 to 2002 I believe, and the Discos from 1999 to 2000. What I've heard is that it is not a safety recall, as there is not a big safety issue with it, but a voluntary recall from Land Rover. But from when I talked to LRNA, they were not as voluntarious with me.
They know thre is a problem but they wont replace it unless it's cracked, fine with me as mine is! the dealer has to inspected and they will determine if they are to fix it or not. After talking to LRNA I will make an appointment with my local dealer and have them look at it and may be I can push it that way, if notI will contact the head of the relations departmentfor LRNA. I have never had a cracked exhaust manifold in any of my cars, it's a rare accurance that mostly happens to racing engines. But knowing that I am not the only one and that there are so many out there, then I believe LR has to fix it as the deffect is clear. BTW.. Most of the cracks are for the passenger side.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
it's a rare accurance that mostly happens to racing engines.
That was a joke, right? Toyota recalled hundreds of thousands of cars for cracked exhaust manifolds, Geo recalled 250,000 Prisms for exhaust manifold cracks, Nissan recalled 80,000 vehicles for cracked exhaust manifolds, Jeep is about to be forced to recall potentially hundred of thousands of 4.0 litre Wranglers which seem to have an 80% failure rate... :)

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
That was a joke, right? Toyota recalled hundreds of thousands of cars for cracked exhaust manifolds, Geo recalled 250,000 Prisms for exhaust manifold cracks, Nissan recalled 80,000 vehicles for cracked exhaust manifolds, Jeep is about to be forced to recall potentially hundred of thousands of 4.0 litre Wranglers which seem to have an 80% failure rate... :)

Yup, it is a very common occurance. The etiology can be many different things or a combination thereof.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly my point.. thank you!

Those who own those cars you mentioned, should have them fixed under recalls, as there is definetely a problem. Like in this case too...
And it is a rare thing, unless you own one of the cars you mentioned. How many exhaust manifolds have cracked on you?? I see you've had lots of LR's and probably even more cars, and if you've had...then again you are one more of us with the cracked manifolds.
Here is the link for one of the recalls.
http://www.epa.gov/otaq/cert/recall/420b05001.pdf

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I've had almost 40 cars so far and I've had three with exhaust manifolds that cracked... none of which are on the list I posted. I also work in the Land Rover parts and service industry and we rarely see cracked manifolds and we have Rovers rolling in and out every day. Yes, it happens and it's not a surprise- but there's no epidemic by any stretch. None of my Rovers have that problem either- but my 95 was misdiagnosed with a cracked manifold by the dealer when they installed my new gas tank, but they were wrong as the downpipe had just loosened up enough to blow the gasket. $6.58 and 15 minutes to fix. :)
So something broke- just get it fixed and get on with life. Your truck is just a few months shy of TEN model years old. How long do you expect a manufacturer to warranty something?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am getting on with it...I am getting it fixed.

Well, I am new to this forum, but not new to cars, trucks, boats and even airplanes. I just wanted to hear from the people that have had this problem with the 4.0 V8.If yo have not had it then I dont know why you even bother in replying..Was it to give us a lecture??
I've always said if you are not going to add something positive, or something worth the the matter in discussion then why even say anything at all..
I know my Disco is almost 10 years old, and dont expect any warranty to cover it, allthough in some states the emmissions system is covered by 10years, and that will include all the exhaust system from the the manifolds to the tip of the muffler. I just dont understand what you want to say?? Are you saying is not common or it is common with all the "hundreds of thousands" of cars you mentioned. Let me tell you it's so common that's why there are recalls open for this issue either voluntary by LR or by the EPA as I pointed earlier, and is also so common that your dealer missdiagnossed a "commom" blown gasket with a cracked manifold...maybe that is because they see more cracked manifolds than blown gaskets so ...they made an assumption?
I respect everybody's opinion and I expect mine to be respected as well, I am here in this forum to exchange points of view in a civilized way, dont care for the sarcastic people that go on lecturing people with impresive numbers.
You are in the Land Rover parts and service industry, I am a master machinist, specialized in big Diesel engines. I work on V12 Diesel engines that are both turbo and supercharged with outputs of 2000+ hp. Detroil Diesel engines that are 60 years old, that work day and night in marine or generator applications and I dont see cracked manifolds as often as I hear it from other LR owners. If I should expect my manifold to crack because my Disco is almost 10 years old, then what can a Series owner expect?? A rusted panel?
I'll just leave it at that, if you want to add your other 2 cents go ahead, I wont respond I have better things to do...like getting my manifold replaced under recall, by LR.
:wave:

·
Forward!
2,324 Posts
I also have a 97D1 SD 4L V8, with a cracked passenger side(NAS) manifold. Talked to LR and yes there is a recall, and no, none of the 97's are covered! Big deal! Brand new manifold is 150 bucks, and if you know cars and everything else motorized.....grab a wrench and fix it! Your driving a ten year old vehicle, now is a great time to learn how to work on it yourself, it will save you a ton of money in the long run! Plus if anyone knows LR's, then muddy oval would be that person(along with quite a few others on this forum)! Stop throwing around your "credentials"!!!! If you know all the answers, why are you asking a question anyway?!

·
Registered
490 Posts
I have a 98 Disco with one fixed manifold on the passenger side and one about to be fixed manifold on the drivers side.

If there is a recall... I wished I knew about it 6 months ago.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I don't know why you're acting hurt- You made an assertion that only exotic race cars crack manifolds, I am merely showing you that it is a faulty assertion. A cast iron manifold bolted to an aluminium head- there's going to be a lot of movement there and potential for failure. That being said, it's still not an epidemic by any stretch. The newer EPA mandates that the entire exhaust system is now reclassified as an integral part of the emissions system is not necessarily retroactive, but you may have an arguement that would work well enough to make them give in.
I, too, have built many engines, cars, boats and yes, a kit plane. My creds got cred too. Don't interpret what I say as ill will- it's just that I think you are reacting a little too much to a minor problem on an old truck.

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is the same issue you have with Alum heads and iron block.. heat dissipation differs with alloys. Not all warped/ cracked heads are a recall. Although, I wished like hell I would get a notice about it and take mine in to be fixed. LOL what ever saved me from the trouble. I am sure if I take it to the Stealer, I would be going behind them and correcting something. It is hard to get a mechanic to care for your car like you care for your own. They are rare and when you fiind one... you had better treat them right.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
My two cents regarding the matter.

portman said:
Hi to all,
I am new to this forum and I'd like to intoduce myself with a question for anybody that cares to answer.
I have heard that LRNA has repaired the cracked exhaust manifold as a recall. I have a 97 Discovery SD that has the passenger side manifold cracked. When I called LRNA they said the recall covers just newer models, but for what I have heard there is a lot of people with this problem and not just the newer Discos, but the Ranges, as well as the Defenfers and from different years. Does anybody know anything about this??

Thanks
Gentlemen:

I think there is a misunderstanding here.

The man asked a question and asked for assistance. If you don't have anything positive to say regarding the thread, why say it ? Why are we venting spleens?

Some of the members in the thread are not beginners. Fine. But cant we help those who require assistance in maintaining our valuable investments in British technology?

Let's tread lightly here and keep this a civil place for discussion.

As for the discussion of the manifold, I have a 96 D1 and I dread the day that manifold will crack. It does not help that the oxygen sensors are installed there and occasionally I have to let some imbecile with a wrench near my baby.

Adam in NYC

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
He asked a question bundled with faulty assertions- I was just trying to show him that the basis of his arguement was faulty. It'll help him in the long run to understand how common this kind of problem is. It's a horrible thing when you get criticized for telling someone who is wrong that they are wrong. If you want an exchange of knowledge and experience, you can't just tell everyone they are right all the time. Seems that on every forum there's a cycle of some new guy who buys a used Rover cheap, then gets sticker shock on the repairs and upkeep, then decides that Land Rover should be liable because it's not possible for the guy to realize maybe they are in over their head or made a bad decision. Whatever problem they have is searched on the internet where they'll see a few others- then they claim 'epidemic.' It happens all the time. If he goes in with that whole attitude, it's not going to help. Having background information on why they fail and a more realistic idea of how many and what the emissions laws cover etc will help him. It may not be the answer he's looking for, but it's a lot more realistic than going to the dealer with a 10 year old truck and saying that it's an epidemic of problems that otherwise only happens in "exotic race cars."

·
Registered
94 Posts
Muddy Oval said:
He asked a question bundled with faulty assertions- I was just trying to show him that the basis of his arguement was faulty. It'll help him in the long run to understand how common this kind of problem is. It's a horrible thing when you get criticized for telling someone who is wrong that they are wrong. If you want an exchange of knowledge and experience, you can't just tell everyone they are right all the time. Seems that on every forum there's a cycle of some new guy who buys a used Rover cheap, then gets sticker shock on the repairs and upkeep, then decides that Land Rover should be liable because it's not possible for the guy to realize maybe they are in over their head or made a bad decision. Whatever problem they have is searched on the internet where they'll see a few others- then they claim 'epidemic.' It happens all the time. If he goes in with that whole attitude, it's not going to help. Having background information on why they fail and a more realistic idea of how many and what the emissions laws cover etc will help him. It may not be the answer he's looking for, but it's a lot more realistic than going to the dealer with a 10 year old truck and saying that it's an epidemic of problems that otherwise only happens in "exotic race cars."
Well said.
Land Rovers are very tempermental creatures and you have to committ to the truck. You should vow in the beginning that you will maintain and fix him/her at all costs, and the job will not be "shoddy". True to the end, much like marriage. If you cant tell yourself and your Landy this before you sign the check don't bother.
With that said you should search for that particular Landy that really does it for you whether it's a Series Landy, a Discovery, or a Freelander. But what the truck does not deserve is a half cocked owner that buys on a whim and is committed to a point, until it gets too sticky or expensive, then bails. It's funny how Landy owners like this always seems to have problems with their trucks.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
Guys... I too think this is a bit overreacting.. you get a new member who comes to the forum to ask a question. Just help the guy out, so what if he made some assumptions. We all do that from time to time. I just don't want his first experience here to be a negative one!

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
It started out trying to help him- but then he whips out his creds and says we're all wrong. Someone who says a common problem with all manufacturers is " ...a rare accurance that mostly happens to racing engines" :)
It really does actually bring a question worthy of a new thread- how long, especially after warranty, is Land Rover realistically responsible for problems?
My opinion- as stated before, is that you- at some point- have to take responsibility and after 10 years, you should know if you got a good one or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.