Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 02 Disco died and the M & S lights were flashing and it would turn over but not start. I called AAA for a tow home, then got back to research on LRO.

I had read all the threads and watched the video, so I was well prepared for the impossible nature of a 15 minute job of replacing the CKP.

My son came over and we jacked up the front end and he crawled under while I tried to get at the plug topside.

No dice, homeslice, so he dropped the xhaust a little, and still no way, Jose. He went home leaving me to brood in my beer and come up with a new plan, Stan.

The whole underside is rusty and crusty from a hard life in Eden Prairie, Minnesota, which doesn't sound like a heavenly place to raise a Disco, and the corrosion was defatigating to say the least.

Well, I gave up and I resigned to calling Jim's Automotive to see what he would charge, but that was not to be, Lee, because they're all on a two week vacation.

Now I stand alone, Tyrone, but when the Disco goes down, you can't fuckaround, and I got the drill and the saber saw and cut a nice big hole in the side of the wheel well, like this other dude did after breaking bolts on the exhaust trying to get it out of the way.

So I'm looking in this hole, and there they are, give me a cigar!

I took the wheel off to get at it, and took the engine side plug off first, then the bracket holding the CKP side plug, because it was all swollen with rust and would not come free.
Now it's all downhill, Bill, and I pulled that sensor off like it was my dear's brassiere, and plugged the new one in before she changed her mind, clipped the two plugs together, bolted the bracket back to the engine, and put the cover back on the CKP.

Well, hell yeah, she fired right up, no flashing lights, no amigos that ain't no friends of mine, nothin' but a solid hum of a Land Rover 4.0, and the soft strains of Ravel's Bolero on the radio, soothing my frayed and ravaged nerves.

So yeah, it's still impossible, and somewhere there's an irresponsible and inconsiderate British engineer who needs an American boot up his ass for not putting an access window in the wheel well for the CKP.

Well, I got one now, so whoever you are, you twatdodging douche that designs Discos, and hopefully you'll have a long walk back from the desert to think about better repair accomodations for those of us who don't go to a dealership.

Anyway, thanks to all here who blazed the trail that allowed me to find my way and fix my Disco.

·
Administrator
2,335 Posts
Nice \ entertaining story.
Yes they are a pain in th ass to change but it is possible.
I did mine on my 2000 lying on my back in my driveway. No wheels off no holes cut....
Just saying it can be done, so don't go hacking up your ride! You don't have to..

·
Registered
181 Posts
The real tricky part is the damn connector...with the grace of god i managed to change mine after spending a half hour scratching my head...

I think there is a requirement that you have to weight under 175lbs, flat hands, and long fingers.

Good read.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts