Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started with a high pitched squeal up front and then noticed the crank pulley wobbling on my brand new 4.6L Atlantic British short block. Before I pulled the pulley I couldn't feel any wobble jerking the thing around, but noticed the bolt came off pretty easy... far easier than a 200 ft lb torqued bolt should (maybe 50 ft lbs of force applied). Also I noticed the harmonic balancer is not on the pulley itself but on a counter weight... my alternator stopped working a week ago, so I assumed both problems were attributed to a bad harmonic balancer pulley, but now I'm just scratching my head... any ideas?

Do I start the engine without the pulley and see if my new block somehow has a crankshaft that's walking back and forth before putting things back together? Does this crank pulley assembly look correct? Most replacements I've seen wouldn't put the pulley out far enough from the snub nose of the crank shaft.

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
To my knowledge all D2s used the same pulley and it looks entirely different from the pictures you attached.
Did you switch it over to the new short block or did it come on the replacement?
This is a picture of what I would expect to see on a gas D2
580B994D-6F08-41EE-B651-9B63D6EA6626.png

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Should be 1piece with no bolt on pulley and much shorter than what is in the pictures you attached.
Something seems fishy ?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just realized somehow I posted in wrong forum section... the 4.6L short block was put into a 95 RRC... apologies. Guessing the assembly was taken from the old block, but unsure. The D2 pulley wouldn't stick out far enough. You able to move me? Apologies!

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
?moves to RRC

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
The 4.6 has a longer crank than the 3.9. So if you used the the pulley of a 3.9, it will not tighten up on a 4.6. You require a spacer like in your second last photo with the washer and the bolt. Maybe your spacer is not long enough for the bolt to actually hold the pulley in position.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts