Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

New to posting here so I hope it all goes well. I was just rolling in new main bearings into my 2000 Disco II when I noticed a crack in my crankshaft. The question I have is my crankshaft is numbered differently than the prospective replacement. HRC 2412 old vs HRC 2683 replacement:help. It is a used crankshaft but in great shape for 150 bucks. Wondering if anyone has any insight. It is stamped 4.0 also.

2000 Disco II
102,000 miles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Yes there are 2 crank shafts, one for the 4.0 the other for the 4.6.
As for buying a used crank, mike the bearings before you buy one to make sure you have a good shaft. By the way, is it out of a 4.0 or a 4.6? A 4.6 crank will drop right in the giving you a fair improvement in power similiar to the 4.6.
If you are having to open up the engine, replace the timing chain set as well as the oil pump gear set because of mileage. Also inspect the cam for cam lobe wear.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mike.
Yes I believe it is out of a 4.0. At least is stamped as 4.0. I was planning on replacing those parts especially since the crankshaft crack could have been caused in some part by oil starvation. Bad deal. Went to Wally world for an oil change and they put on a tiny oil filter. I will be looking at the crank today to see condition. it is already removed and ready. Will update later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts