Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The misery continues!
Can someone please tell me if the 26mm AF bolt that holds the crankshaft pulley on is a regular 'tighten clockwise' bolt or a 'reverse thread bolt'?
Mr. Haynes in his wisdom has fogotten to say....as he did also for the viscous coupling nut which is reverse.
I want to put my pneumatic gun onto it and I really want to know if it is a regular thread or not before I attack.
How do I stop an automatic engine from turning over as I cannot lock it into gear? The heads are off!

Many thanks,
Philippe :dunno:

·
Registered
424 Posts
A trick that sometimes works is putting a breaker bar on the nut, and wack it hard as you can with a hammer. The engine's compression will provide some resistance (if you have the plugs in and everything).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its beaten me.....I even sacrificed the pulley by welding two bars onto it to stop it turning.....I put my air wrench on it.......still nothing.......I even heated up the nut with my gas torch.......again nothing.......I've been beaten......I really want to meet the monkey that worked on the car before!.....The shame of it, I have to get the local garage to have a go now.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Success!

OK, I had to get a bit radical here as I thought it was all going to end in tears. With the heads off and the car being an automatic I did not have very much choice as to how to block the pulley from turning as I tried to undo the bolt. The pulley was already bent, so I sacrificed it further....
I don't know about you guys, but after fighting for two days, I took a few steps back, tidied up the workshop, put everything in order while I contemplated the next 'assault'....
My local garage could not help as most of the staff are on holiday, but the owner kindly lent me his heavy duty air impact driver. My one was a cheap 1/2 inch drive one that I picked up at the local hardware store.
To cut a long story short I gave it a go while waiting for my compressor to get up to pressure and lo and behold the b*****d nut simply span off. It took all of two seconds.
The garage owner gave me the 'ok he messed it up look' when I went back, but soon broke into a broad smile when I put a bottle 'Ricard' infront of him as a token of thanks.....(Ricard is a French aperitif drink that basically drives you mad.....very popular with the guys here!)
The moral of the story is: Next time, I'll loosen the bolt before I remove anything else and cheap tools are not always great....time to surf the Snap-on site again.
The steel bars welded to the pulley that acted as braces against the chassis were kindly donated by my Mini's jack handle.....a case of David and Goliath?
I'll update the top-end rebuild soon. Cheers! :beer: :beer:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.