Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

Has it happened to you?

• Nah, I work for NAPA.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nah, I work for Radio Shack.

• Nah, I only build choppers for really rich folk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there from Adam in NYC USA

Okay, I am better fixing people than Discoverys.

I am trying to change the spark plugs to Bosch Platinum +4's and I did it. I cross-threaded the first spark plug hole. Dang nag nit!

Besides now having to fix that hole, does anyone have a tried and true way to get them spark plugs right in the first time?

I remember the technique of using a vacuum hose to get it started to be threaded but why they designed the sockets at an angle that creates the right amount of back pain is beyond me.

One of the old-timers at work recommend starting the spark plug with your hand first and then use the socket for the plug and then finally use the racket.

I am fuming. Adam in NYC

· Registered
5,468 Posts
Adam - try what the old timer said to do, first thread it by hand, then move on to equipment usage. I am running the +4's along with the 8mm magnecore plug wires.

· Registered
490 Posts
I changed over to the Bosch 4 as well. I also went out and bought myself a set of Taylor wires (had to cut to the correct lenght) and installed them. I believe they were 8mm wires. I picked them up at the Hot Rod Shop. Yeah, they saw me coming... they were not sure what I wanted driving a Land Rover. LOL

Well anyways, not sure if I accomplished anything other than putting obviously better wires on at a lower cost then OEM... and spent more on plugs to break even.

As for the stripping the treads... OUCH!!! That sucks. I have never done that. I have broken a bolt off in the last (LAST) hole on the manifold. WHAT A STINKING PAIN. I ended up drilling the hole and retapping it to a stud.

Looking back, I should have put LockTite on that stud.

If the strip is bad enough the plug will not tighten... you could step up one size... retread the hole and remember you did it the next time you replace the plug.

Good luck.

· Registered
909 Posts
Well, first off to be precise..... I didn't cross thread one, I broke one off :eek: :bawling: !!!!! THAT SUCKED!!!!!!!!!! It was in a "new to me"(used) Honda I had gotten. This car had 140k with original spark plugs!! I removed them, the last one broke off as I tried to get it out. I had to take the head off, and have it removed. NOT COOL!! From now on I put anti-sieze on them and start them by hand. I don't tighten them too much either. Man at least you have good spirits about it! Good luck!
Eric.

· Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the morale......

I don't feel so bad. Now to get to work next week and hope the weather cooperates.

Adam in NYC

· JesusIsLord
185 Posts
Adam in NYC USA said:
I remember the technique of using a vacuum hose to get it started to be threaded but why they designed the sockets at an angle that creates the right amount of back pain is beyond me.
The ol' vacuum hose trick is the best way I've found. Actually a piece of fuel hose works better. If the threads aren't going in right you won't be able to turn it. If they are right, you should be able to get the plugs in as far as you would by using your bare hands provided you're using a snug fitting hose. :buttrock:

Bummer about stripping the threads Adam...if you clean the threads without removing the cylinder head you really MUST be careful not to get metal filings in your cylinder bore...it can cause some nasty damage. :bawling:

Let folks know how this drama plays out for future reference. :cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.