Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, i am new. I love my 1997 Discovery. Recently had to tear down engine and found everything was worn. I bought another 4.0L motor that was supposed to have a crower cam and only have 3000 miles on it. Well good news and bad, the heads were rebuilt and came with many new parts. Problem is the new crower cam and timing chain is for an early 3.9l style, how did this even run with the fuel injection??? The cam and lifters are in great shape, looking for suggestions. Where can i sell or possibly trade for the correct GEMS camshaft and lifters. Thanks

UPDATE - Explored the site more and found the classifieds. Thanks

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
The 4.0 block was probably being used in a Rangie or older Disco with the 14CUX. They can be swapped around. Fuel injection on both motors uses a cam sensor, the GEMS is one step better due to the crank sensor. Where the knock sensors on the block?

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Hi everyone, i am new. I love my 1997 Discovery. Recently had to tear down engine and found everything was worn. I bought another 4.0L motor that was supposed to have a crower cam and only have 3000 miles on it. Well good news and bad, the heads were rebuilt and came with many new parts. Problem is the new crower cam and timing chain is for an early 3.9l style, how did this even run with the fuel injection??? The cam and lifters are in great shape, looking for suggestions. Where can i sell or possibly trade for the correct GEMS camshaft and lifters. Thanks

UPDATE - Explored the site more and found the classifieds. Thanks
What makes you think that it is the wrong cam shaft.

·
Wounded Knee Moderator
1,904 Posts
I'm guessing the cam has a dizzy gear on it.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I'm guessing the cam has a dizzy gear on it.
That is not actually a photo of a Rover cam. The only differences over the years has been the nose on them. The actual degrees and lift, etc, did not change. The distributor drive is a cog that slips on the front of the shaft. If everything at the front of the motor is there and connected, I am not sure how it is the "wrong" cam.

I would be more worried about whether the heads are correct, especially if they were exchanged for rebuilt ones rather than the originals being rebuilt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, the crower cam that was in the motor has a round disc plate holding the cam in place and a long snout / journal in front for the timing chain gear to slide on. The correct cam uses a half plate to hold the cam in place.The block does have knock sensors on it.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
Hi, the crower cam that was in the motor has a round disc plate holding the cam in place and a long snout / journal in front for the timing chain gear to slide on. The correct cam uses a half plate to hold the cam in place.The block does have knock sensors on it.
The differences you list make no difference to whether the cam will correctly operate the motor. I wouldn't be bothered changing it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.