Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi....I just bought a 96 Discovery 2.5 tdi

It seems to have the switches etc but I cant get the cruise control to work. Am I doing something wrong or does it just not work. I get up to about 100 kms..... press what I think is the master on the console, then pull on the + switch under the RH side of the steering wheel but nothing happens... when I take my foot off the accelerator the vehicle slows down until I reaccelerate.

Ideas?

· Registered
50 Posts
I had exactly the same problem with my cruise control, it was the vacum hose just slightly cracked at the end.

I snipped off approx a 1/4 of an inch and put it back on, it worked straight away.

I hope its this fix.........

G'day

John.

· Registered
11 Posts
Like everone else is saying, vacuum problem. Replace your lines then go from there. Grab a haynes or chiltons manual good info in them. Take a look on ebay for shop manuals also. Above all do not take it to the dealer. As some of these Rover Guru's. They know what to do.

· Registered
528 Posts
Just carry a knife in your truck because it will need to be cut like ever 2-4 weeks or so depending on how much you use your cruise control. But eventually it will be too short to still cut so that’s when you will have to replace it. I just learned to live with out cruise control.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cruise control

Thanks Guys.....

Took me a while to get back to the forum. In the meantime I have talked to the guy who the dealer sold it to me on behalf of. He said it would be the vacumn as well and undertook to fix it for me.
I am in New Zealand and last weekend the wife and I visited the daughter and her husband (and our grandkids) in Whakatane, Bay of Plenty. The son in law works on a diverse farm some 11,000 acres. He drove the discovery and gave us a grand tour including river crossings the works. Fantastic trip and the son in law was so sold on the dicovery that I think he may try and track one down for himself.

· Registered
59 Posts
Cruise cont

Howdy from the South Island! :wave:

Ok, REPLACE ALL the hoses for the cruise including the 1 through to the brake pedal. If that don't work, the ecu is prob no go. Does the light go on the switch? If so, maybe hope for it! :beer:

· Registered
6 Posts
More on Cruise

Hi guys,

I have been following this thread with interest as I have had a similar issue. I have a 98 V8 Disco and have had the 'stealer' take me for a ride on the cruise being linked into the ABS sensor and the need to replace this sensor. Has anyone heard of this ( please bear in mind I am not a mechanic ). If possible, can someone post a photo of or descirbe the location of the vacum tube so I can check it myself? Many thanks

Al

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.