Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My retractable cup holder has been sticking lately. Last night I tried to close it but it would not retract. I jiggled it, thinking it might have been off track and then pushed it. It appeared that it was going to fully retract but just before it was completely closed, i heard a crack and a small plastic piece cracked off and fell out of it. Now it wont retract at all. I called the dealer and was told it would cost $200 to replace ($95 for part, $95 for labor). This sounds extremely high. Has anyone had to replace a retractable cupholder? If so, what did it cost?

·
MG
771 Posts
Happened to me already - I pulled it all the way out, found out that the little broken piece was not incredibly necessary, as I put it all back together (sans the piece) and now it works wonderfully. Work with it - if you get it back, I'll only charge you $25 worth of beer...:beer:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Mine was sticking a while back. I was lucky and didn't break it (I'm as shocked as anybody).

To clean it up, pull out the ashtray and the coin tray. Two or three screws hold the entire cupholder assemby in and are hidden behind the coin holder and ashtray. Remove those and the whole assembly will slide out. I washed mine in the sink and it is now right as rain.

Note, I may have forgotten a step in there, but if I can figure it out, anyone can.

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
I finally got frustrated & just ripped mine out. It's a POS part...cheap plastic & a weak mechanism. An aftermarket company charging $60+ bucks for this is a joke. I got more than $60 worth of satisfaction from pulling it out, throwing it on the ground, and stomping on it.

·
Premium Member
10,236 Posts

·
Artist
90 Posts
mine broke also

My front and rear cup holder broke.... These are the worst part about the car... About as poorly designed as I have seen.... replace them with the more updated ones... well worth the money... get it back in and never ever never use it again! :mad:

·
Registered
709 Posts
rmuller said:
BEST SPENT MONEY, EVER;

TRUE! I had a '97 DI and the cup holder broke so I went out a got a set of those as well (I believe they were $65). I also have them in our 2000 DII and NEVER even used the cheap plastic one built in. Even if you do use the one built in, any size cup covers most of your controls...

·
2,986 Posts
any size cup? those POS's only fit 12oz cans hah.. if you got lucky you could fit a "small" soft drink in there too.. the middle cup holders are big enough to comfortably fit a snapple bottle!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Ooooo, I should get some of those. My factory cup holder has pretty much served only to hold up the aux speaker for my CB. I moved the CB to a different spot and freed up the cupholder, only to remember just how damn small it is. Yay for imports!

How much are those bolt-on ones you guys have?

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
FelixLockhart said:
Ooooo, I should get some of those. My factory cup holder has pretty much served only to hold up the aux speaker for my CB. I moved the CB to a different spot and freed up the cupholder, only to remember just how damn small it is. Yay for imports!

How much are those bolt-on ones you guys have?
i got mine from rovers north for $55. they are the best things you can get for your rover!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.