Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mod. --- I'm watching you
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just bought my wife a 1999 Disco II SE-7 and we plan on taking it across country for our trip to Yellowstone and many others but I want to add a nice A/V setup to it. I was just wondering what kind of setups people have seen or have done to their own trucks?

I know how to use fiberglass, plexiglass, ABS and so on so making something custom is no big deal. The S2000 in my sig has a full custom A/V system in it that I made.

But I would just like to see what other people have done due to the lack of space...

Cheers! :drink1:

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so I take it no one here has any kind of an ICE setup in their Disco's.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
If you post just before a holiday weekend,

You might not get a response since everyone is paying attention to the family matters for the holiday weekend.

Adam

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Regarding my ongoing audio setup....

Back to the original question:

I am working on my own custom a/v setup for my 1996 D1.

I am currently running the factory Pioneer radio with a broken CD changer.I hope with my ongoing oxygen sensor debacle and the other minor chores on the D1, that I will be done by August or September this year.

I am a ham radio operator, an auto stereo lover and I am enjoying my use of my mp3 players (I have several including an IPod). Why not put everything together?

I am building a custom CarPC using a Kawton motherboard with builtin soundcard and internal 7" flat panel display and using the Linux operating software to make it run. I have several USB ports and the usual other ports for keyboard and the the rest, but I plan to use Bluetooth for an external keyboard when I need to.

My original intent was to have a supersize music jukebox but I have also been using LimeWire and I have been downloading precorded television programs like crazy.

My current theme is to surpass the mp3 jukebox and make a mobile media center that will play (and record) mp3 files, control one of the ham radios remotely and if all works correctly, introduce a USB HDTV tuner when I have passengers in the rear.

On eBay, I bought an additional 7" LCD 800x600 wide-screen touchscreen monitor that elminates the use of a pointing device. You use your finger as a mouse on the screen. I bought it for $195 from HongKong. It came with internal stereo speakers but first I have to find the proper car mount paint the monitor and mount to match the internal woodgrain and bright leather and place them in the proper place and context.

Last long range trip, I used the iPod with 3 days worth of music with the Monster iTrip for driving between Baltimore and New York City. Without it, I don't think I could have such a good drive in continuous pouring rain with 8 hours drivetime by myself.

As for the status of my project, It has been rather busy on my end, so I have not done too much. I have the screen , the computer, the iPod and a few of the important parts and am now installing the Linux software. I just have to find some time when I have not been busy wrecking the domcile.

How's that so far??

Adam in NYC 1996 D1 :drive:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Okay, when I start the final install, I will show you the result

Disco said:
Nice work Adam. I would love to see the end result. :clap:
I will try to digiphoto the project when I am complete with the software installation and I am ready to go and do the final hardware installation into the Land Rover.

I am still trying to figure out and see how to install a 7" LCD in the front without being a safety hazard in a car accident and also being in a urban parked car on a street with a high crime rate. BTW, I live in front of a police precinct (sorry, NYCPD, but as neighbors, you suck).

I tried getting a 7" hide away touchscreen where the stereo is at but the dang eBayers won't keep the bids at a low price.

Adam

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow this is great information. Thanks keep it coming!

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
I am going to contact some stereo manufacturers and see if I can get some product to review for the Product Reviews page. I am mostly interested in replacing all the speakers in the XD. The head unit and changer will probably stay as is.

Serg

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Serg said:
I am going to contact some stereo manufacturers and see if I can get some product to review for the Product Reviews page. I am mostly interested in replacing all the speakers in the XD. The head unit and changer will probably stay as is.
Serg

That would be cool!! What brands are you looking into??

side note - I'm a car eletronics installation dealer if anyone needs anything. I'd be happy to offer guy on the board here a discount.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
John,

I don't want to hack up the interior of the XD, so I will go with stock sizes. I am not too picky on brands, and since they will be powered by the stock equipment, it won't make a huge difference. I need to go and listen to some speakers to see which ones I like.

Having said that, once I contact some stereo manufacturers, I will take whatevet they want to send me!!

Serg

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to help ;) The truck is more for the wife, but shes has plans for it. One of which is to add a screen for my daughter to watch something on long road trips.

I'll have to post up pictures of the system in the S2000 to give you an idea of what can be done.

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
John,

Go ahead and post up pics of some of your work.. would love to see it. And if I can't get one of the manufacturers to toss some speakers my way, I will gladly give you my business.

Serg

·
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here's a few from this years build. This is a show car so it changes almost every year, but this is the latest one.

Everything was built by my brother, my partner Jake and Myself. Its all fiberglass, plexiglass and a little MDF. I have a complete photo album of the build process for it all. If anyone has any question just let me know and I'll try and help. Anyway here ya go:

Under the hood:

Anyway those are some of them...

I will be installing a full system over the summer into the Disco so if anyone as any ideas or suggestions please pass them on. Or if you have any requests for something you'd like made out of fiberglass please also let me know and I'll give it a try. I use carbon fiber. ;) Strong and light.
:drink1:

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I'd just like to say just one thing here........

wow.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Serg, Check out these......

Serg said:

Serg
Just me.

Check out the Advents (may be out of production but they look identical to the factory speakers but they are awesome). As for the back, I was looking at the Bose Outdoor Rectangular speakers for the rear pillars just for the heck of it.

In case anyone don't know it, there is one or two manufacturers selling stealth subs for use in those armrests. I am a jazz, latin and rock kind of dude so I am 50/50.

Serg, you are so right, we all need to tame these factory systems. They are getting lame and a little tired.

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
Wheeler
1,843 Posts
Serg said:
I am going to contact some stereo manufacturers and see if I can get some product to review
Serg you have a pretty cool gig! :D I wish I could get some "product to review" for this weekend,,,, like a few tie rods, lockers, & maybe an axle or two ! Let me know if you ever need an asst. ! :wave: :D

·
LRO Founder
2,006 Posts
darknight1999

That's a very clean setup. Nice work indeed. I myself prefer all the stuff hidden from prying eyes, but it's not a show car either. Looks like you guys do some clean work!

Serg

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.