Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mashed my left cat real good. It is flat and hollow now. I don't know a lot about the emissions system, but will this throw codes and mess up my fuel/air? I've been driving like this for a week with no problems, then last night I went for a long drive and got an engine light. I imagine this is the problem, but haven't checked it yet. Do the O2 sensors compare to side to side and well as front to back? I have many things left on my list of cool stuff do buy for the old beast, exhaust was not one of them, I've crushed it several times 4 wheelin and putting new stuff on seems wrong....I just can't stand engine lights.

·
laments the death of industrial strength soup spor
1,382 Posts
I mashed my left cat real good. It is flat and hollow now. I don't know a lot about the emissions system, but will this throw codes and mess up my fuel/air? I've been driving like this for a week with no problems, then last night I went for a long drive and got an engine light. I imagine this is the problem, but haven't checked it yet. Do the O2 sensors compare to side to side and well as front to back? I have many things left on my list of cool stuff do buy for the old beast, exhaust was not one of them, I've crushed it several times 4 wheelin and putting new stuff on seems wrong....I just can't stand engine lights.
yes, hence there being 4 of them.
i know what you mean though, i have a slight leak at the flange on the drivers side from beating the cat against a boulder.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Spark plug non foulers will let you run without cats just fine. I have for about 10k miles now. Just google spark plug non fouler trick. You only need them on the after cat O2s

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What? it will run fine without them. They are an emissions control device. If anything, it will throw a check engine light because it thinks the cats are operating at a reduced level. Spark plug non foulers are unnecessary.

·
Registered
496 Posts
It would throw codes and the truck would run like crap, not mentionning that it would be very ignorant and iresponsible to even try it. If you keep knocking them while offroading, try and find a way to protect them with skidplates or something.

·
1,382 Posts
It would throw codes and the truck would run like crap, not mentionning that it would be very ignorant and iresponsible to even try it. If you keep knocking them while offroading, try and find a way to protect them with skidplates or something.
uh oh.. not sure what you ment by that. your not one of "them" are you? if so drive a fucking prius. which by the way is more enviromentaly damaging than an old deisel clunker. if you ment that by keeping the integrity of the truck then sorry.

·
Registered
261 Posts
What? it will run fine without them. They are an emissions control device. If anything, it will throw a check engine light because it thinks the cats are operating at a reduced level. Spark plug non foulers are unnecessary.
You are correct for most trucks but in the discovery it defaults to running ridiculously rich if you throw and O2 code. When i first tried it i was getting about 4-6 mpg... The non foulers keep it from throwing the code. Just saying that it works. It is nice not having to worry about them. And you can sell them like i did for exhaust work and extra goodies :)

·
Administrator
16,594 Posts
Sure, it is a cheap way to beat the system and it is wrong!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I wouldn't have done it if we had any sort of testing where I live. That is just asking for trouble.

·
MG
771 Posts
Fwiw

We kicked this very same question around in the DI section a few years ago - the Beast (my former DI) was the AUS build, so it didn't have any Cats (that's right, none). From my research at the time, there's a resistor on the ECU that compensates for the presence (or lack thereof) of the cats.

I don't know if the DII is the same...

Peace,

·
Registered
496 Posts
uh oh.. not sure what you ment by that. your not one of "them" are you? if so drive a fucking prius. which by the way is more enviromentaly damaging than an old deisel clunker. if you ment that by keeping the integrity of the truck then sorry.

Nope, no tree hugger here. But no freekin idiot either. I bet you empty your ashtray at street lights and throw your garbage in your local Wal-mart parking lot. Didn't think so....Removing your cats in this day and age is just as stupid. There was a time not too long ago where Land rover owners still had a little class and brains left. Not counting how Land Rover is still synonym with open outdoors, safaris and nature respect.Really sucks to see trailer park mentality starting to happen here. So while I go get my Prius, do everybody a favor and sell you Rover and go buy that huge pick-up truck with 12 inch lift and 44 inch tires while we're still trying to keep the Rover image.

·
1,382 Posts
Nope, no tree hugger here. But no freekin idiot either. I bet you empty your ashtray at street lights and throw your garbage in your local Wal-mart parking lot. Didn't think so....Removing your cats in this day and age is just as stupid. There was a time not too long ago where Land rover owners still had a little class and brains left. Not counting how Land Rover is still synonym with open outdoors, safaris and nature respect.Really sucks to see trailer park mentality starting to happen here. So while I go get my Prius, do everybody a favor and sell you Rover and go buy that huge pick-up truck with 12 inch lift and 44 inch tires while we're still trying to keep the Rover image.
i don't use an ashtray, i throw my butt's out into dry tinder so they can start forest fires to clear the underbrush. i throw my garbage off the side of the interstate so convicts can have something to do. no, i'm just tired of "green" i'm an avid outdoorsman and give to the acess fund, but at the same time protest the seirra club for their wacko ideals. if someone wants to bypass their cats thats their business not yours. he asked if the truck would run properly without them, not weather or not it was politicaly correct to do so.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
But it's so trendy to be "green"...I have never heard of such hypocrisy in my life..I care about the ecology and bash anyone that doesn't...but when your not looking... you still get the plastic top on your Starbucks, and the cardboard holder on the side, I bet you don't even take in your own mug each time..

Did you know that a Prius is more harmfull to the environment than it does any good. You know how bad it is when they have to dispose of a Prius, they are not even sure how to do it yet,,, the battery component is more harmfull than any emissions. 85% of Prius owners own one because of what there friends will think of them while they are driving it and 90% of those owners are female. Not one Prius owner reported driving less, they think they should still be able to run around town going from mall to mall looking for the perfect outfit to wear to the next protest.

If it wasn't so trendy to "say your green" you wouldn't give a hoot cus you still pollute...

wow
I dig you steph but you were outa line on that one...you can't be selectively green - scratch that - environmentally conscious which ahs been happening since 1976 Just ask the crying Indian....

·
1,382 Posts
But it's so trendy to be "green"...I have never heard of such hypocrisy in my life..I care about the ecology and bash anyone that doesn't...but when your not looking... you still get the plastic top on your Starbucks, and the cardboard holder on the side, I bet you don't even take in your own mug each time..

Did you know that a Prius is more harmfull to the environment than it does any good. You know how bad it is when they have to dispose of a Prius, they are not even sure how to do it yet,,, the battery component is more harmfull than any emissions. 85% of Prius owners own one because of what there friends will think of them while they are driving it and 90% of those owners are female. Not one Prius owner reported driving less, they think they should still be able to run around town going from mall to mall looking for the perfect outfit to wear to the next protest.

If it wasn't so trendy to "say your green" you wouldn't give a hoot cus you still pollute...

wow
I dig you steph but you were outa line on that one...you can't be selectively green - scratch that - environmentally conscious which ahs been happening since 1976 Just ask the crying Indian....
exactly :clap:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Just ask the crying Indian....Funny you would say that, I'm one of them. I was somewhat out of line and I admit it. Sorry for sounding aggressive there Ultraviolet. I guess the ''go drive a fucking Prius'' line, kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

I do sometimes forget my mug at Starbucks, I know what you mean by hypocrisy, but come on, encouraging someone to remove his cats by not commenting on it and by merely answering his question, is like telling him that he can get rid of the oil from his last oil change down the drain without commenting, if his question is about the washability of his tub afterwards.

Not green at all, In fact I drive one of the worst m.p.g S.U.Vs out there, by choice !!! And I hate the darn tree huggers that wanna close trails too, but I can't stand ignorance.

Reason I pointed the garbage in the Wal-Mart thing, is that last summer I saw an Idiot throw his McDonalds garbage right there on the ground in front of his kid. I walk over to him, looked him in the eyes, picked up his garbage, put it in his sweat pants ( camisole and sweat pants, you know the type) pointed at the garbage can right there, about 20 feet from him, and had him go over and empty his pants, In front of his kid. IDIOT !!!

So I doubt that we'll see eye to eye on this, and am sorry again for coming on a bit rude. I normally know better that argue on the net. Some things set me off.

Steph

·
Old &Tired
83 Posts
well i for one am glad to own such a green machine.. hell today i parked in one of those "small car only" spots.. so the disco must be green..

and one never empties the ashtray.. when it be full you sell the truck and buy another... oh what a disposable world we live in.

sorry i ramble on... why not look for an aftermarket cat system.

·
1,382 Posts
Just ask the crying Indian....Funny you would say that, I'm one of them. I was somewhat out of line and I admit it. Sorry for sounding aggressive there Ultraviolet. I guess the ''go drive a fucking Prius'' line, kinda rubbed me the wrong way.

I do sometimes forget my mug at Starbucks, I know what you mean by hypocrisy, but come on, encouraging someone to remove his cats by not commenting on it and by merely answering his question, is like telling him that he can get rid of the oil from his last oil change down the drain without commenting, if his question is about the washability of his tub afterwards.

Not green at all, In fact I drive one of the worst m.p.g S.U.Vs out there, by choice !!! And I hate the darn tree huggers that wanna close trails too, but I can't stand ignorance.

Reason I pointed the garbage in the Wal-Mart thing, is that last summer I saw an Idiot throw his McDonalds garbage right there on the ground in front of his kid. I walk over to him, looked him in the eyes, picked up his garbage, put it in his sweat pants ( camisole and sweat pants, you know the type) pointed at the garbage can right there, about 20 feet from him, and had him go over and empty his pants, In front of his kid. IDIOT !!!

So I doubt that we'll see eye to eye on this, and am sorry again for coming on a bit rude. I normally know better that argue on the net. Some things set me off.

Steph
your a crying indian? hmm, your sig looks anglo saxon to me, maybe even pure aryan;) there is a defference between not being a litterbug and being an albert gore jr esquire. what do you mean you can't put your used oil down the drain? ****... :beer:

·
Disco II Newb Rehabing a Mall Rover
220 Posts
Shoot, I used my old motor oil to burn my used styrofoam and plastic! Then I throw that chunk of crap in the closest salmon stream! Good thing my WRX "has all its cats," ahem, cuz I wouldn't want to get called out. :^o

As for LR tuning, I have no idea how adaptive ECU is. I was curious about getting a used set of manifolds and getting 'em ported, polished and coated and then running a hi-flow cat, free flow exhaust. The LR's got a V8, but I can barely hear it. What, are there like a half-dozen barrel-sized mufflers down there or something? There's no way the OE exhaust flows well. BUT, I would an untuned free-flowing exhaust be better? I dunno. *shrug*

1 - 20 of 30 Posts