Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't identify what's turning her off when I enter a water hole.
Here's the scoop..
The last week I went through a hole with about a foot and a half of water and it just turned off. No cel no sputtering no indications of any sort, just turned off. Immediately I cranked it and she fired rite up and I drove out of the hole and promptly avoided water the rest of the day.

So.. I got home pulled all connections (knock/crank etc) cleaned and greased them.

Now this weekend I'm on the trails and its still doing the same thing. This time I was able to keep the pedal down to keep her from dying.

So now I get home pull the garden hose out and completely saturate each sensor on the motor one at a time and I can't get it to duplicate the symptoms. I hosed the crap out of the motor and still can't get it to even give me a sputter

Any thoughts?

Note:
I have a safari snorkel kit installed and everything is completely water tight so no there is no water getting into the intake. Its definitely an electrical issue

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
leaving this morning and i noticed a little hesitation while driving down the road.. BAM got a CEL
P1300, and cylinder 1,3,5,7 misfire

not really sure if this has anything to do with her shutting off, but it sounds like i may have a coil issue (it's very curious that the entire left bank was misfiring)

·
certified idiot
694 Posts
I doubt that its your coils as they are crossed between both pack to stop you losing one full bank.

If you have misfires on the whole bank its much more likely you have a vacuum leak at the inlet on that side causing the problem or an O2 sensor problem on that side. Given that it may be related to the stopping in water I would look for vacuum leaks as you may be sucking in water which goes into the cylinders (as a mist) and is putting out the fire on that side.
cheers
Barri

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
an entire bank misfiring is very strange..
wonder why it would misfire this morning though and not last night while saturated in water.

seems to run fine now after her little hickup this morning

my submerged issue i'm leaning to cps
it's the only sensor on the truck that i have not changed over the years and it could shut a truck down when wet. I wonder if it could also give me a misfire??

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Maybe you submerged your exhaust? The increased back pressure coupled with the increased intake drag caused by your snorkel could have caused your RPMs to dip low enough to stall the motor. It's a stretch but it's plausible.

You can try to replicate the problem by blocking the exhaust with a rag while the truck is idling.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not exhaust being plugged..
also i drove her to lunch today and everything was good on the way, but on the return trip while sitting at a light it started to idol rough so i put it in neutral and it leveled out and no issues the rest of the way back

WTF!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On the way home I got an o2 sensor fault
P0161

I think I'm going to loose my mind

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
changed out the cps and no more misfires. still have a rough idol when on startup. put it in drive and back to neutral and it levels out and all is fine the rest of the drive. doing that every start.
any thoughts on that?

btw i did change that sensor out last year. i remember that terrible placement of the harness

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.