Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got into my 95 today, has 210k on it but never driven hard. As I make turns in a parking lot, the Classic is shuddering and clicking around turns. not sure if i just need to put oil in the CV joint or be more concerned

·
Registered
14 Posts
Could also be locked duffs or a seized viscous coupling. Not very reassuring news I'm afraid.

CVs go click click click, but don't usually make the car shudder. You can usually tell which cv, by driving very slowly and havin an accomplice listen from outside the car.

Seized diffs or VC will cause the car to jump and shudder. If the wheels are forced to spin at the same speed, the drivetrain components will "wind up" and then one wheel will break traction and spin, releasing the energy in a series of little jolts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sounds like a transfer case viscous coupling is locked up. Great if you're going offroad. Bad on the road. Theres a test where you jack up all the wheels and spin one. The other axle shouldn't be turning.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, i was trying to remember how that test goes.... I think for the diff you jack one end of the car, put it the transfer case in neutral and spin one wheel. Seized vc can be tested by putting tranny in neutral, jacking one side of car up and spinning a tire. Or something like that?.....

·
Registered
255 Posts
here are some old posts I've collected.

It's usually a cover up for a seized viscous coupling in the transfer case. Reconnect drive shaft, and with the transfer case in neutral and one wheel off the ground, try to turn that wheel (use a wheel brace on one of the nuts to pull on). It should be difficult to do, and turn only very slowly, but it should turn. If it doesn't turn at all the VC is seized.

>The coupling is not too hard to change. You remove the front driveshaft housing, remove the coupler, and assemble. The transfer case mount has to be removed so you need a support. No special tools needed, 1/2 day job.
• robison service

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.