Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally changed out my failing steering pump this weekend. Once I finished, I sprayed down the engine and steering box with an orange citrus-based degreaser to remove all of the steering fluid that had built up from the ongoing slow leak and then using a garden hose with a nozzle, sprayed the engine and engine compartment off. After then bleeding off as much air from the steering system as I could before cranking the engine, I cranked the engine to finish bleeding it off. Had a horrible miss.

I checked and it had popped a check engine light. I read the codes and I'm getting a P0304, P0300 and another P0304. Cleared the codes and let it idle for a while and it again, popped a P0304, P0300 and another P0304.

I thought it might be the plug wires as I already replaced the spark plugs a few months ago and at that time, bought a set of magnecor wires but had put off installing them. I replaced the wires this evening and started it back up and still getting a horrible miss on #4 and the P0304, P0300 and a second P0304.

Can I figure from this that I have a bad coil pack? Also, what gaskets besides the upper intake and throttle body do I need to get if I have to pull the upper intake to get to the coil? I'm also going to get a set of valve cover gaskets and replace them too if I have to replace the driver side coil pack.

Thanks for any help on this!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No water, swapped plugs between 4 and 8 to make sure it wasn't a cracked insulator on the plug (installed new 2 months ago), installed my Magnecor wires I've been sitting on since I installed the plugs and still missing on 4. Got to be a bad coil.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced coil, all is well in Rover Land!

I think that coil was failing for a while and might have had a weak spark. When I replaced the plugs a few months ago, 4 plugs had very burned electrodes whereas the other 4 were nowhere nearly as burned.

You live and learn.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was going to respond and say check the coil...that is what I did after going through the all the basics first, swapping spark plugs, wires etc.. I sent in my fuel injector for testing and that was fine.

Good to hear you are all set. From my experience seems like Coil > Injector. I also changed up my wires to 8mm ones, never hurts.

Take care

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.