Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some insight and experience installing a complete d1 c.d.l. Shifter in a 2000 d2.

I am in the process of converting my 2000 d2 to a c.d.l. Shifter I have removed From a 1996 d1 that is likely a parts truck.
So I have a complete 2000 d2, a complete trans. And transfer case from a 2001 d2 and a 1996 d1 donor vehicle.
I have removed the shifter from the d1 and un seized it ( was completely seized) I am in the process of test fitting the shifter on the trans. Assembly that I have on the bench. First thing I noticed is the high/ low linkage coming out of the transfer case is different. Also after removing the bolt on shift link to transfer it it too was seized from a lack of use. Easily us seized it and test fitted it on the bench trans. Seems to work well on the bench.
I do have a couple questions regarding the final install on the 2000 d2
1 - I remember reading something about a switch or solenoid problem that can leave you stranded in low range but cannot seem to find the article. What is the recommended modification?
2 - the c.d.l. Indicator is the 2 prong switch on the top of the transfer case on the transmission side? I have not disassembled the 2000 that is the final destination of the c.d.l. Yet, but am wondering if the wiring and indicator light are pre wired on a 2000.
I can take whatever I need from the 1996 but this whole thing doesn't seem as simple as "JUST the shifter"
Will take some pictures for those that are interested

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also console boot and steel bezel that the auto trans shifter require modifications?

·
And I didn't even submit a proposal...
202 Posts
I intended to install a shifter from a 2000 automatic D1, in my 2003 automatic D2. The shifter assembly bolted right on top of the transmission, but it was around 40 millimeters too far back and it conflicted with the cable going to the tranny. I had lots of other work to do somewhere else at the time, and did not want to bother with messing around modifying everything to make it work. So I just ordered a conversion cable. It was expensive but it was an easy conversion in the end.

I read somewhere that the CDL shifter in an automatic D1 is different from one coming from a standard D1. Also I think I have read also that the automatic transmission in a D2 was a little longer than the one in a D1. But I am not sure about these two statements, I did not pay too much attention because it wasn't a concern for me anymore. Maybe you could look into that.

I did cut into the steel plate on which both the tranny and cdl shifters bolt in order to make room for the D1 cdl shifter, but it wasn't enough, I would have had to cut into the hole where the shifter cable exits towards the front of the truck and I did not want to do that. So I welded a patch right back to install the new cdl shifter assembly from Ashcroft.

About the solenoid, there was one in the existing hi-lo shifter assembly that prevents you from going from hi to low or back without the right conditions having been met, but the D1 cdl shifter assembly doesn't have one. So it's not a problem anymore, because you can't install it back after the mod.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe this will give you some things to explore.

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am hoping that I can adjust the linkage on the hi /low lever to position the shifter in the right spot in regards to the console. I did notice the difference in the auto shifter and cable between the d1 and d2 hoping to cut the d2 shifter plate and use the large boot and plate from the d1

·
Administrator
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure about an 2003 but thought they were not built with c.d.l. My 2000 , 2001 and 1996 have no switches on the linkage or shifter, there appear to be 3 switches? And also a solenoid on the trans near the hi/@low shift mechanism. Going to have to research which is what unless someone knows and wants to share

·
Registered
83 Posts
Not sure about an 2003 but thought they were not built with c.d.l. My 2000 , 2001 and 1996 have no switches on the linkage or shifter, there appear to be 3 switches? And also a solenoid on the trans near the hi/@low shift mechanism. Going to have to research which is what unless someone knows and wants to share
cdl linkage from d1 bolts on top of transfer case, there is a solenoid on your existing lever that doesn't allow you to shift when engaged.

cdl wiring harness is likely not on your truck you need the adapter.

other than that mount the lever, move the transmission cable out of the way - maybe stiff

cut out/off the metal plate with the high low hole and create your own rubber seal

just open it up and don't look back

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.