Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My D2 2001 with only 21.000 miles, came up with code P0305, a misfire on cylinder #5. Changed plugs with the champion and changed wires with the Magnecor 8mm; fired it up and the D2 threw the same misfire code on #5, I tested the wire and no spark was jumping from that wire to #5 cylinder; could it be the coil pack is bad or the distributor? any help, any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks.:confused

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Sounds like the coil pack if,,, two wires have been tested and the same result occured. Clear the codes and try a third wire..one from the old wires you know works.

·
Registered
99 Posts
21,000 miles!!! I think you should just sell it to me dirt cheap since it is a hopeless cause. Haha, just kidding. If you end up needing a coil pack, Roverland dismantles and sells used Disco parts. Check out their pricing before you plunk down a lot on a new one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That misfire came before the wire/plugs change. we tested a different wire to see if the #5 had any spark ant that was negative, all of the other wires were sparking real nice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Any progress yet? I have the exact issue after replacing plugs and wires. Mine is a misfire on #4. Had to replace the wires since the one on #4 was faulty and was arching nearly all along the wire. My best guess is that the resistance change from arching fried that terminal on the coil. I ordered a single coil pack from Advance. Very much dreading replacing the pac, wires were difficult enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'll answer my post because I did it! Truck is running great now. The coil pack was the problem. I really wish I was that guy. The one who wants a big truck because I'm small with a complex. Next time I remove the intake Manifold, there is not much room back there to wrench. Couple notes if you try.
Replacing one of the two packs works, short term diagnosis only. If you replace the whole assembly you will need to remove the IM. I was able to take the one I removed out by wiggling it toward the passenger side. Of course the secondary air pipes were off.
1/4 inch drive(small is needed), universal adapter, 2 and 5 inch ext(3 and 5 would have been slightly more comfortable), and an 8 mm slim socket worked for me. All bolts on the coil pack are 8mm. Secondary Air pipe connection to the bracket is 10mm, bracket connects to the engine with 8mm.
I plan on having this great truck for some time, cause I luv it. Could everyone who succeeds at a task post how to and best practice? I will.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts