Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am looking to add a little more power to the D2 and 'bit' more growl. I'd like to have a new exhaust setup and I wasnted to see what all of you have done and what your impressions are of it. I'd really like to have mine totally custom with a side exhaust through the bottom of the rear rocker panel. I hate hooking up my trailer right next to the exhaust outlet.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Don't waste your money trying to get some horsepower from your exhaust unless you want to stat at the Y pipe with some hi performance cats, trick mufflers running duals and lots of noise.
You might though consider cutting of the rear resinator and if you have to run it out thru the side go from there. I cut mine of and shot it to the ground, sounds good and mellow.
If you want a little more power, go to some 8mm. Magnacor wires and some Bosh Platium Plus 4 plugs, will make some good low end torque.
Mike J.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was considering new downpipes, high flow cats, most likely 2.5" into 3" and then a 3 chamber muffler (or two) and then out the back it goes. I really want to cut a hole through the side of the rocker to let the exhaust port that way. Does that make sense? I've got a guy with a manderal bender and he does a LOT of custom systems for my local Audi/Porsche club. Stainless steel all the way. I would think I could pick up some ponies in the process, the current factory system is less than ideal in regards to flow. I realize a N/A motor needs a certain level of back pressure to obtain higher torque figures, but I really think opening it up a bit will help with the bottom end as well as the upper end. Although I have no scientific means for my assumption.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
You're not the first one to play around with the exhasut, what you are suggesting is going to be really noisey.
Mike J.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mike,

How much louder did your system get once you removed the rear resonator? Does it reverb in the cabin at all?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I had my resinator cut off, then had a new cat back exaust system installed.
Went with Flowmaster stage II and I love it. Sounds like a old mustang at 30 mph.
It does bellow into the cabin, but not over my stereo.

If you want quiet, go with Magnaflow. I prefer the mean growl.

Good luck.

Cheers on the Magnecore 8mm tip, I am going to try it.
Mike you ever have any issues with sensors going off once you through in the new Magnecore wires + Plat plugs?

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Hailsharky said:
I had my resinator cut off, then had a new cat back exaust system installed.
Went with Flowmaster stage II and I love it. Sounds like a old mustang at 30 mph.
It does bellow into the cabin, but not over my stereo.

If you want quiet, go with Magnaflow. I prefer the mean growl.

Good luck.

Cheers on the Magnecore 8mm tip, I am going to try it.
Mike you ever have any issues with sensors going off once you through in the new Magnecore wires + Plat plugs?
If you mean, have I ever had a check engine light because othe the plug/wire combination, "NO".
The only difference I got was that immediate boost in low end torque.
Mike J.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
02disco2 said:
Mike,

How much louder did your system get once you removed the rear resonator? Does it reverb in the cabin at all?
I am alot older then many on this web site, but I enjoy a good running/sounding truck, and this sounds good, nice and mellow.
You may want to extended or rerout the exhaust a little further out then I did because I have notices a slight exhaust smell when under full throttle pulling a long hill.
I did also get a slight boost of power, but the main thing most of my friend have noticed is that it sounds reallt cool.
Mike J.

·
Super Moderator
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That wouldn't work very well for me. I'd pinch those pipes shut after one weekend up at my lake home. I need it to be tucked WAY up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.