Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it's a long shot, but would anyone know what thread the two coolant drain plugs in the block are?

These are the square-head bolts on either side of the engine bay that you remove to drain the last little bit of coolant out of the block.

I'd like to install an aftermarket water temp gauge and I'd like to use this location for my sensor, but I need to know the thread size before I can purchase an adapter.

Help!

·
Registered
380 Posts
When you find out be very careful removing them, they tend to seize because of the difference in metals (steel bolt in aluminum block) and snap off. I tried getting mine off when doing my oil pump gears to drain the coolant, wouldn't budge, and I was scared to snap it. I think they have a temp sensor you can get that adds an accessory fan that'll kick on when you need it and I think you can attach a temp gauge on it. I could look for it if you want to check it out, my brother has one on his truck.

·
'03 Disco SE
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I managed to get them pulled out without any real difficulty but I wasn't able to find the appropriate thread so I opted for the in-line adapter that I'll integrate into the radiator hoses. If I screw up I'm only out a hose, not a whole engine block!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Agreed! I'm a pussy when it comes to my truck, I don't want to break it more than it already is! Haha, I used to have a list of the crap I replaced, it got too long and Everytime I would read it I would see, that could've been a lift, tires, bumper, $$$$$$ and then I just cry and go out front and admire the damn thing. Also, make sure you don't mess up, because we're talking cooling system here, so either way you could still be out of a block ^.^

Great write up on the tear down also, I did the same job, an I feel stupid for just fixing it instead of improving it haha.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.