Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

2003 Discovery 2 SE7
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Slowly making progress on my '03 SE7. I have taken out all of the rear seats, as I have no use for them. Turns it into a giant box that is amazing for hauling things. I guess it is now an SE2 馃榿
Anyway, the headliner was sagging badly, as they typically do in many cars of this age, so I removed it and re-covered the headliner in a woven wool hound's-tooth pattern. I managed to find it in a 63-inch wide roll, so I didn't have to sew two pieces together to make it wide enough. I think it looks great, and is far more unique (and cheaper - I guess no one wanted this pattern?) than the typical solid black or beige color I usually see done as a replacement.


Before everything was back together.  I left off the side trim to make way for a possible future camper build.  For now, it gives me more storage space.

Some people may think it is too much, but I personally love it. I even covered the back trim piece that holds the headliner in. It has large cutouts in it for the third-row folding headrests, but because the fabric I used was so thick, I went right over the holes and you can't even tell they were there.


My truck is black, and when taking everything apart, I figured out why the previous owner drilled sheetrock screws through the visor clips - the heat from the sun (combined with the black paint) had completely melted the plastic on them.


Instead of cutting through the nice new headliner material to install those nasty things, I just zip-tied the visors to the overhead map holder, which functions well enough and looks 1000x better. I can't swing them to the side with that solution, but I couldn't before either because those sheetrock screws were in the way, so it doesn't bother me. Just in case I need to, I have some cutters and extra zip ties in the glovebox.


Overall, I think it turned out great, and was far easier to do than the headliner in my Volvo - less complex curves to deal with, and much easier to take out and put back together. I got a chance to fix a couple of small sunroof leaks while everything was apart too.

I eventually want to turn my Discovery into a camper inside, complete with a fold out bed, storage, and possibly even a kitchen countertop with a sink and single-burner propane stove. This is why I have filled in the seat mounting holes with expanding foam and put carpet over it - that should make for a nice flat floor. The abundance of space behind the front seats and the high roof will make it a very comfortable camper, and the dual sunroofs + the alpine windows will let in a lot of light. Both of my sunroofs work perfectly (a pleasant surprise), so they will also work great as vents.

That is well into the future, though. For now, it will be a great van-like hauler with a cool headliner.

Also, as a side note for anyone doing this to their rig, I recommend using Permatex Heavy Duty Automotive Headliner Adhesive (in an orange spray can with a blue cap). It works really well, and holds up great. I re-did the headliner on my black Volvo using it about a year ago and it is still holding up perfectly, despite the fact that it stays outside in the sun all year.


2003 Discovery 2 SE7
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Three month update - don't use a woven pattern like I did - use regular upholstery cloth. The threads on the woven material I used are starting to separate and these parts then stick to the headliner, so the rest of the headliner cloth is starting to sag lightly. I split the weave apart and got some super glue behind it in the spots where it was sagging, which fixed it, but avoid this problem - use regular upholstery cloth. This is what I did on my Volvo 2 years ago and it is still holding up perfectly.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.