Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My D2 has a slipped liner and a lot of off road kit... Question is, how much of it can be used on a D1?

OME full suspension lift. I know rear springs will swap. Fronts need the D2 seats which can swap. Shocks the front turrets are different and can be swapped?

ARB bull bar? I've seen this a few times. Other than the wheel opening being larger on a D2 and the wings being slightly wider it should bolt right on.

SD rack, section it shorter is a direct fit.

front great basin rovers double cardon drive shaft.. can this be used?

Rokstar fabrication sliders... hmmm not sure about this one being easy.

full south down skid plates... everything, front axle guard, steering guard, fuel tank, rear axle.... this won't fit a D1 completely different chassis and axles but probably a P38.

I know things like dash boards, wiper switches, window regulators are all swappable... a lot is actually.... but a lot isn't... anyone know first hand before i try this other stuff?

· Registered
63 Posts
I think you already know more than most people reading this thread about interchangeability :) Good luck...

· Registered
268 Posts
My D2 has a slipped liner and a lot of off road kit... Question is, how much of it can be used on a D1?

OME full suspension lift. I know rear springs will swap. Fronts need the D2 seats which can swap. Shocks the front turrets are different and can be swapped? Springs yes. Shock towers yes. IDK about lower shock mounts, may have to fab something or buy adapters like RTE, or different shocks altogether

ARB bull bar? I've seen this a few times. Other than the wheel opening being larger on a D2 and the wings being slightly wider it should bolt right on. Should work

SD rack, section it shorter is a direct fit. It will overhang a little in the front and rear. Not a huge deal. Or cut out about 6" or whatever and weld it back together.

front great basin rovers double cardon drive shaft.. can this be used? Yes, but you'll need to reuse the Transfercase output flange from your D2

Rokstar fabrication sliders... hmmm not sure about this one being easy. Maybe. I know RockStar sliders bolt back to the frame so that may be an issue.

full south down skid plates... everything, front axle guard, steering guard, fuel tank, rear axle.... this won't fit a D1 completely different chassis and axles but probably a P38. front axle, yes. steering guard, probably. fuel tank, no. rear axle, yes.

I know things like dash boards, wiper switches, window regulators are all swappable... a lot is actually.... but a lot isn't... anyone know first hand before i try this other stuff?
You can replace the D1 rearview mirror with the D2 one if you want

· Registered
63 Posts
I stand corrected...

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Springs were non eventful. I already had D2 springs on it. D1 has more articulation so replacing was easy. Had to use the old bottle jack between the arm and the frame to pop them in. D2 needed spring compressors just a little. The only difference in the front is the bottom of the coils are flat on a D2 and the seats are a bit different. I grabbed the top isolators which required using the shock tower nuts as the thread is different. Also no retainers on the bottom of the rears.. Rides fine. I kept the Bilsteins as on the D2 the shocks are hoop style on both ends and the D1 is pin on the bottom of the rear and pins on both ends of the front. The front towers are interchangeable but then you must work something out for the bottom... not worth it to do all that.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should add I have aluminum spacers on the bottom spring mount bolted to the axle that accommodate the D2 front springs.

· Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The ARB...I May tackle that this afternoon. Only issue is mounting the Roo Bars as they may not fit if I have to move the bumper back to look right with the smaller wheel openings of the D1. Looks like I have plenty of room to do this if I have to. Mantec Snorkel too should fit but will need flex hose to run into the airbox. Woukdnt it be easier to put a td5 in or get another D2 to swap all the gear over? I have 260k on my 98D1 and has yet to have any issues all these years. My 96 is the same. We bought this D2 2 years old and after 100k it's been a constant needy child. Like the D2 chassis but hate the 4.6 with secondary air and things like the non serviceable front drivrshaft rear rotoflex and non serviceable wheel bearings. Fussy abs then Throw in a aluminum plastic radiator (all my D1 have originals) that fail after about 5 years like clock work and no longer a cdl or full floating rear with all the electronics where even the fog light switch puts out like 2 volts to a ecu rather than be normal and I'm done with it. Rather put the money to a 110 tdi than fix this thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.