Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Discovery 2's power steering has been suffering a slow leak since I bought it. It have just recently reached the "min" mark on the reservoir, and the pump is starting to make some noise when cold, so I looked in the back of the manual to see what fluid to get for it. Unfortunately, they recommend some Texaco fluid that I can't find anywhere, and the original Land Rover stuff in insanely expensive. So, what can I use instead? I don't have ACE. Can I just use Dexron III ATF? That's what most Toyotas I have seen take for power steering fluid, and it also has the benefit of being decently inexpensive and readily available. I have done some research on the topic, but haven't come away with any definitive answers (other than other expensive options like Mobil 1 - I want to keep it cheap because it will probably just leak out again in a few months). Thanks for the help.

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
Refilling with the expensive stuff is probably cheaper than the overhaul.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True, but my pump is on its way out anyway - it's leaking, so at the very least needs to come out to be re-sealed, and it occasionally makes grinding noises at parking lot speeds (when the fluid was still full). I also found a receipt in the glove box for "power steering stop leak". So with that in mind, I just want to limp it along the cheap way, because I have a feeling I will be replacing it at some point soon anyway. No point spending money on the good stuff.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mines full of Prestone ps fluid and the regular not the European version. The pump that’s currently in it is from a 2000 I owned in 2015!

I would not use a stop leak on anything. I used Lucas PS stop leak on a G35 years ago for a rack weep and ended up getting new hoses, new rack and new pump. The dealership even wrote on the work receipt that Lucas caused the failure and Lucas said tough

·
very disco
1,633 Posts
Yeah if that stuff wasn’t crap, it would be in all of the fluids on the shelf, and included in the manufacturer recommendation.

you can’t go back in time and tell the PO not to use it though.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
If you are sure that the vehicle will never be exposed to lower than -20*C ATF is good enough... otherwhise a cold climate PAS fluid is required to protect the steering box, any reliable brand is good

Reactions: V50_M66

·
G4 Mike
105 Posts
When you get ready to replace the pump the best deal I found a year or so ago was a cardone plus from Rock Auto for $250. I got the British Atlantic no name power steering fluid and it's been fine ever since.

·
Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you are sure that the vehicle will never be exposed to lower than -20*C ATF is good enough... otherwhise a cold climate PAS fluid is required to protect the steering box, any reliable brand is good
Awesome - thanks for the info. It does get colder than that here every once in a while, so no ATF for me. However, I did find a really good deal on some Pentosin CHF-202 PAS fluid (the same stuff my Volvos take, -40 - 130C rated), so I will be ordering up some of that. Thanks again.

When you get ready to replace the pump the best deal I found a year or so ago was a cardone plus from Rock Auto for $250. I got the British Atlantic no name power steering fluid and it's been fine ever since.
Thanks - I'll be sure to check that out when my pump gives up the ghost.

·
Expert Crate Digger
262 Posts
My PAS pump has the Chewbacca groan which usually means the pump is dying a slow death.
I added some Royal Purple Max Ez PS fluid ($5/bottle) and the groaning sound is less noisy now but I can faintly still hear it .

Reactions: V50_M66

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Discovery 2's power steering has been suffering a slow leak since I bought it. It have just recently reached the "min" mark on the reservoir, and the pump is starting to make some noise when cold, so I looked in the back of the manual to see what fluid to get for it. Unfortunately, they recommend some Texaco fluid that I can't find anywhere, and the original Land Rover stuff in insanely expensive. So, what can I use instead? I don't have ACE. Can I just use Dexron III ATF? That's what most Toyotas I have seen take for power steering fluid, and it also has the benefit of being decently inexpensive and readily available. I have done some research on the topic, but haven't come away with any definitive answers (other than other expensive options like Mobil 1 - I want to keep it cheap because it will probably just leak out again in a few months). Thanks for the help.
Its leaking out anyways...use the dextron

1 - 10 of 10 Posts