Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was putting the car cover over the D2 on the night I was flying out of PR, when I discovered that fuel was leaking from above the gas tank or from somewhere around there. Wondering if it's from a cracked hose or the fuel pump. I did smell fuel before, but did not see any signs of it leaking till now. Has someone had this same issue and can tell me how they solved it.
Here are some pictures. Pic 1 is from the L side of the gas tank and the other from the right side. My buddy who is a LR mechanic saw the pics and said it looks like the plastic hose is cracked and leaking, but then why is it also dripping on the L side? Can the leak spray that far? I did not get a chance to check it better since I was leaving that same night. I want to tackle this when I return there.
Thanks for the help,
Dave

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,118 Posts
I had a leak on my truck a couple years ago.
Was not long after I put it on the road. First fill up it was running out from on top of the tank.
Turned out to be the ring at the top of the tank. The pump was setting in the tank and the “pickle jar lid” ring had backed off.
Cleaned everything up and reassembled. No leaks.
Strangely, before I noticed the leak, it ran fine and no fault codes

·
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Redtruck12! hope is just that, will look into that when I go back in 2 months .
The D2 always ran fine and smooth. I had 2 codes for an oxygen sensor that I have been getting once in a while since the truck sits for about 2 1/2 months. I poured a small bottle of Seafoam injector cleaner into the gas tank and it took care of it. The day before I left I was driving and at one point I heard what sounded like plastic breaking from the rear, I stopped and checked, but could not find anything so maybe that was it. I drove it home, parked it, and even started it once again and turned it off. A few hours later I put the cover over it and saw the dried up leak marks. Luckily there is another guy in that town that has a second D2 for parts and he can sell me what he is not using in case I need something else.
Dave

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, the ring around the top of the pump is a very likely contender. The escaping fuel will travel to the lowest point so it is difficult to see the cause. Remove the cover plate, undo the large ring and carefully remove the pump to inspect the seal. I suggest you do this first
If that is not the cause, inspect the hose clamps exiting the tank. Another potential source of the problem could be a partially blocked feed or return line, or a defective charcoal canister. I had both.problems- a torn seal ring and a blocked canister - now fixed
Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts