Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
Discussion Starter #1
I have been busy building my Discovery into my idea of the perfect overland machine. So far, the major things I have installed are:
  • Britpart steel front bumper
  • Badland ZXR 12,000 lb winch
  • Terrafirma 2" suspension lift
  • 275/65 R18 Kanati Trail Hog A/T tires
It looks awesome now, and has had no trouble with the unmaintained logging roads, muddy trails, river crossings, and light rock crawling I have thrown at it so far. I look forward to taking it on some more challenging trails to really test it out.

It's still nowhere close to being finished - being an '03, it has no CDL from factory, so when I replace my cracked transmission, I will also install a CDL-equipped transfer box (and a new driveshaft for good measure). I also want to install locking differentials (or limited-slips) front and rear at some point, replace the factory rear bumper with a steel one, and a bunch of other things I'm forgetting at the moment.
As for the interior, it is still completely gutted, and will eventually get the full camper treatment, complete with a fold-out bed, storage, and a small kitchen. For now, though, I am using it as a van to haul various things around.

As they say, a project car is never done, so there are certainly more mods in store for my D2 further down the line, but I figured I would share what I have done so far (and some cool pictures of the truck from a recent trip).

Super Moderator
Nice looking truck
Thanks for sharing 馃憤

Reactions: V50_M66

very disco
I looooooove me some D2!

I snagged the lucky8 rear bumper, really happy with it for the price
I also added the LT230SE and D1 shifter to my bastard-child '03 (smooth move)
I fantasize about F&R lockers, but I really think that the Ashcroft ATB is where I'll land

Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
Discussion Starter #4
I looooooove me some D2!

I snagged the lucky8 rear bumper, really happy with it for the price
I also added the LT230SE and D1 shifter to my bastard-child '03 (smooth move)
I fantasize about F&R lockers, but I really think that the Ashcroft ATB is where I'll land
Good to know about the bumper - thanks. I was similarly impressed with my Britpart front bumper (ordered through Lucky8 IIRC). My factory rear bumper is in pretty rough shape, so that will probably be the next thing I do to the exterior.
Definitely going to install a CDL soon - as good as the LR traction control programming is (and it is pretty good), there is no replacement for a good locker setup. Probably 15 years ago, my dad and I got his Land Cruiser stuck on a trail far away from cell service - the right side of the truck got wedged deep in the mud. The left side was on dry dirt with plenty of grip, but Toyota A-Trac, even in its most-aggressive setting, just couldn't figure out where to send power, and just overheated the brakes. Had to walk for a half hour to get cell service, then waited for someone to yank us out. I learned two things that day: bring a winch or a buddy when going out into the woods (also the reason a steel front bumper and winch were my first mod to the D2), and traction control will never be as good as lockers.
I have been looking at the Ashcroft ATB as well - it seems to strike a good balance of capability and drivability from what I've read, and is somewhat less expensive than lockers I have seen. Lots of guys in the Volvo community run Quaife ATBs in their Volvos for better corner exit speeds and less wheelspin during spirited driving or track days (yes, some of us track our Volvos), and it makes a world of a difference there. I probably won't be getting around to that for a little while, as it is already super capable (and will be even better once I get the CDL in there), but I will definitely be doing that at some point.

very disco
Yeah, ATBs (or lockers) are on my long-term list... with many many things before them.

ATBs on a Volvo for track, I鈥檝e never seen a volvo be able to keep all four wheels on the ground during intense cornering. I had a pic of my friend racing his Volvo doing a serious 3-wheeler, but the best part was the expression on his face: half 鈥渁hhh yeah鈥 and half 鈥渙h ****鈥

Registered
2003 Discovery 2 SE7
Discussion Starter #6
That's hilarious. My '05 V50 FWD picks up the inside front wheel during serious cornering - there are anti-lift kits (Whiteline makes a good one) that address it. That combined with the ATB make for surprisingly capable track cars. Guys run ATBs mostly on late '90's and up front-wheel drive stuff, and sometimes front and rear on AWD S60Rs and V70Rs. Apparently they make a huge difference. I am going to put one in my Volvo when the clutch goes out so I have an excuse to pull the trans, at which point I'll put in a lightweight single-mass flywheel, heavier-duty clutch, and then the mods will start snowballing. Earlier rear wheel drive Volvo's are usually fitted with clutch-type LSDs.
Unrelated fun fact: In the early 90's, the Volvo 745 (boxy rear wheel drive station wagon) came standard with an Eaton G80 locker in the rear axle. I guess the idea was to get more grip in the harsh Swedish winters, but the side effect is that they make great (and practical) sports cars with some minor suspension work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts