Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think most of you will have this problem but the dash in the discovery is curling up. i here its realy expencive to get a new dash so i was looking at my options. could a series 2 dash fit in a series 1 and how much would a dash cost (s.I, s.II). Will it pass inspection in NJ with the dash like that? And is there any where i could finde a cheep used Dash for the truck thats is in good condistion? any 1 want to help put it in?

·
Former LR tech, Albany NY
2,437 Posts
Happens on fords all the time.

The actually fix was to rivet down the dash board to the metal frame of it.

you drill holes and rivet it down and cover it up as best as possible.

·
Registered
128 Posts
96owner said:
i think most of you will have this problem but the dash in the discovery is curling up. i here its realy expencive to get a new dash so i was looking at my options. could a series 2 dash fit in a series 1 and how much would a dash cost (s.I, s.II). Will it pass inspection in NJ with the dash like that? And is there any where i could finde a cheep used Dash for the truck thats is in good condistion? any 1 want to help put it in?
They sell a kit that can fix your dash like new, I got a guy here in NY that does it for cheap. When I had it done I think it was $75.00. I got all the info on the place, if you need it let me know.
Chris

·
Registered
128 Posts
There was a bulletin on this years ago, and a kit to "fix" it. Basically, there are some plastic stips, grey or beige, that you screw down to the steel, clamping the warped dash. It looks like different, but better than a curled up dash. Once they get bad, though, they continue to seperate in other areas, like around the centre dash, etc.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
It happened to most 95 Discos. The supplier of the dashes must have been cost cutting and formulated some cheap plastic, anyhow, besides the 'screw down kit', which looks crappy in my opinion, look around the wrecking yards you could be lucky. BTW, I don't think a DII dash will fit, besides if you are willing to part with the $$$ for that, why not invest in a new DI dash. The later manufactured DI dashes don't lift.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i though i could get a DII dash for cheaper or something idk what i was thinking. but i think i might try screwing it down these things are trucks not BWM so i don't care if it looks that bad. but that are the chances of it popping out at places like the center console

·
Registered
43 Posts
I bought my truck a year ago, never really noticed the curling dash when I bought it, then noticed the dreaded curl, so i just trimmed back the pad to where it was not lifted up, followed the same curve and when sitting in the truck you re3ally dont notice it at all, besides, its just a dash pad, no real purpose other than looks, plus the trimmed pad gave a nice little shelf for the rubber feet of the CB to hook against -Andy

·
Registered
317 Posts
kit from RN

Before I owned my disco, I recalled seeing something in a flyer from RN about a dash fixit kit...didn't seem like too much at the time...you might want to inquire with them...

Now that I've got a disco, I see the dash is cracked in a few places...ah, who cares, the truck has more pressing issues.

Bogatyr

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have removed dash's in Discovery's and used a good grade epoxy and reglued them with great sucess and no relifting.I clamp them with quick clamps and a board across the front of the dash. I have also done this by removing the windshield, glueing and rigging a clamp setup. If you need a new windshield you may be able to a a glass guy to take out your glass and then you could glue the dash down and he could reinstall your glass the next day.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok so the dash is good not we put back all the loose wires and gauge cluster and put some bigger screws through it and not it looks good enough for me

also while it was at the dealer we got all the fulids changed and a new gasket on the rear diff it was old so the truck it doing a lot better the cost for all this FREE :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:
having your mom date a landrover server avisor kicks ass

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.