Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 73 series 3 model and I lose power when the front is at a steep angle.
I,m told that the float in the carby needs bending to allow more fuel over the intake holes. Does this sound right? Its a 2.4 petrol :wave:

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Two things:

1) Before fiddling with your carb, Did you ever redo your petrol pump? It could be that the pump is worn out and that it does not deliver enough feul to your carb. A kit does not cost that much and it takes about 1/2 hour.

2) You did not mention what type of carb it is, so it is a bit difficult to give more precise advice on what to do with the carb. (Remember, guys put all kinds of equipment on to their Landys, I for one have a Webber Carb on so it is no use advising you if you still have the old Solex carb on)

Regards

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Moeras

Thanks for the reply,
The carby in question is a Stromberg, Do you suggest I change it to a webber? I seem to only have the problem on very steep hills like coming up Mt Victoria west of Sydney. It makes me nervous to be overtaken up a hill by a fully laden milk truck. Regards Damo

·
Profesional Hunter
443 Posts
Damo

The Webber 36 DCD works fine and there is a couple of guys on the forum that has done this conversion. (Take a look in this Series section there is, I think, about three posts dealing with this conversion). It works 100% even better than the old Solex or Stormberg carbs.

The only thing you need except the carb is the adaptor plate. Not to expencive and you will feel the diffrence.
Also consider redoing your Pertol pump.

Moeras.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.