Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a proud new owner of a 99 Land Rover Discovery Series 2. Love it! but...it has issues..most of the answers I am already finding here...kudos! However, I have a dash light of the truck with a arrow pointing up in the back of the truck... any ideas on what that means?

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
Sounds like it has or at one time had rear air suspension?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
has a button on the dash with the same symbol. I assumed it was something to do with air shocks however not sure how to tell if it is the shocks or a wire or what. when you shut it off and get out you can hear air release like a shovk...dont know what that is about...

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
It has to do with the SLS(self levelling suspension) system which works with air springs not shocks, releasing air after you left the vehicle is normal behaviour for the SLS but that warning is not normal to be on all the time cos it's for the so called ORM(off road mode) together with the switch which has the same symbol and it must be active only on driver demand and go out when the vehicle exceeds 30 km/h... in your case it can be a wiring issue or a SLABS ECU missbehaviour, provided the other SLS related warnings are working as they should.

a good move for you(and for all who haven't yet) would be to read at least the vehicle owner's handbook to know what systems you have and what each warning is about.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
I can't tell as long as i dont know if the other SLS related warnings are working as they should or not cos if they dont it's one thing and if they do it's other and even though i'm up to help with all i can i'm not up to keep a disquisition about what the warnings should do as long as the owner's handbook is free and it doesnt hurt to know what's in it anyway ;)

here it is https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D8700125_05791262_29839#

also it seems that the vehicle is driveable so it's not an emergency

so @MrsMimi , tell me what the other SLS warnings are doing and i'll tell you more if you are up to fix it yourself

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the three amigos lights, check engine and the air spring light. it is driveable but trying to repair all is wrong cause I need the lights off ? yes willing to repair ourselves as repair places are costly here in the u.s. for rivers. thank you for all your help.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
MrsMimi said:
....I have the three amigos lights, check engine and the air spring light....
WHAT :eek ???... i'm stumped though, all these problems and you ask only about the ORM warning???? ... i know exactly how all those systems work but as long as you start a topic saying just about one warning while all the SLABS related warnings are on how do you think this would work?... consider me a D2 doctor cos that's what i am without being narcisist believe me(or not), i've fixed many D2s around me just out of fun and all the ''customers" were pleased(FOC)... but based on these: did you check the SLABS feed fuse and earths?... or be specific what did you do untill now to rule out things? ... i can help if yous have a multimeter and the know-how of using it, untill then download and save the following documents:
1. https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D8700125_05791262_29834
2. https://www.sugarsync.com/pf/D8700125_05791262_29812
then when i'll tell you to check a connector C..... you have to identify it in the Electrical library - Connector views, it's doable as long as you give enough information, the D2 is a very complex vehicle and it's not easy to deal with it just like that

meanwhile think twice and describe with full of details all the symptoms and how it started... i need complete informations to be able to help and would be helpfull if you can find somebody with dedicated tester(not generic OBD reader)

·
Super Moderator
2,148 Posts
X2 on what Frey stayed
If you really want help then you need to explain Everything that is going wrong.
You will not find ANYONE more knowledgable on the D2 electronics than Frey but you will need to do the hands on testing

1 - 9 of 9 Posts