Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys, I got this problem that is driving nuts, basically all the dash blinks when I start the car for up to 15 minutes sometimes but after that it works fine
I am sure there is a short somewhere but cant figure it out, what I noticed is that this doesnt happen when the tank is nearly empty and the duration somehow is related to how much gas I have in the tank, not sure if that is related though
Its a 2002 model with almost 250,000 miles on it, there no engine faults logged in ECU, I have only TC and Hill descent light on (021 Engine PWN signal bad) Issue
Any idea how can diagnose the issue? any suggestion would help, this has been going on for a year now

·
Registered
657 Posts
Did LR put in a christmas light fault into the system and we not know it?

Jk

Is the vehicle ON/RUNNING with the indixated lights flickering? Or is it just in the second ignition detent?

This is new to me

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately its Christmas all year round :p

It starts on the second key position and keeps going, the cars starts and drives fine even when flickering, I even attached an OBD reader during and all reading are coming fine (throttle position, speedometer, temp, ...)

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
I would pull the switch bezel off and check all the connections at the gauge cluster, seems like a poor connection.
If you have never had the need to pull this stuff apart it’s quite straightforward no special tools just screwdrivers and the only tricky part is popping the clips at the forward edge of the bezel

Reactions: TwinsDisco101

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
And not breaking the brittle tabs on your bezel!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the gauge cluster connector seems solid, the only solution I can think of is to check the connection between each connector wire and pin, then check the signal from each wire with a voltmeter or an oscilloscope if its a PWM signal but that's too much work, I don't wanna go down that path

·
Super Moderator
2,294 Posts
Keep it simple
If you can get the issue to happen consistently, wiggle test the connections and se if you can manipulate the connection to correct it
If you can then you have narrowed it down to a particular connector.
Beats scoping each and every wire (sounds like a very frustrating experience)

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Any troubleshooting for wiring issues is feckless untill you dont rule out the instrument pack itself cos it's very suspect

·
very disco
2,211 Posts
My RRS had a bad IPC. no amount of fussing with the cluster would affect it. I even disassembled and resoldered the main harness connector. No change.

replaced it, and then it was good

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My RRS had a bad IPC. no amount of fussing with the cluster would affect it. I even disassembled and resoldered the main harness connector. No change.

replaced it, and then it was good
Might have to that, I checked all the wiring and disassembled the cluster to check the pins of the connector and all seemed good
afraid it might be a faulty IC, unfortunately no easy fix for that
will probably wait for it to either die or becomes unbearable then replace the whole cluster

1 - 11 of 11 Posts