Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Been looking for a p38 or disco project for a while. Oh boy have I found one! 160k on a late disco 1. Drove it straight to the gas station then home for a bath and inspection.

Been sitting for a while, tags were 14 months out of date and the tires are pretty wonky from sitting low for a while. Surprisingly almost completely rust free!(less than my 2014 Toyota had)

Needs exhaust work so I let it cool and hit the fasteners with some kroil and allowed them to soak. While that happened I ordered a set of tires, checked the lights, and a made list of bushings to replace and started looking up what I need for the transmission rebuild. Tomorrow it looks like I’ll be pulling the turn signal stalk, and starting on fluid changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
very disco
648 Posts
i love to see these get restored! a D1 is a fantastic truck, and they'll get parted out over the most inconsequential of issues it seems.

cheers

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i love to see these get restored! a D1 is a fantastic truck, and they'll get parted out over the most inconsequential of issues it seems.

cheers

Restored might be a little much, but it’s certainly getting some much needed love. It will certainly be preserved from this point.

It reasonably matched my other restomod driver so I thought it’d be a fun project.

·
very disco
648 Posts
D1 wheels, D1 bumper, D1 door handles.. also the rear glass and opera windows have external rubber seals on D1, and have internal rubber seals on D2. also, D2 doesn't have keyhole on gas door.

what did i miss?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Replaced all the tires with a set of Ko2s in 225/75r16. Also got all the front bushings in the radius arms and the track bar replaced with poly from bearmach. And replaced all the ball joints in the steering linkages. looks like tomorrow I’ll be aligning it if the weather is decent.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
That looks like allot of work ...

·
Expert Crate Digger
167 Posts
D1 have square inset releases, D2 have protruding pull handles.
Yep the handles and tail lights.
My wife can't understand how I can tell a Disco 2 from a Disco 1 when we are far away from it.

·
very disco
648 Posts
pics of the new tires? how are the shocks? I've never met a stock disco that didn't need new shocks (-;

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pics of the new tires? how are the shocks? I've never met a stock disco that didn't need new shocks (-;

Shocks are good, cheapish but good but the bushings in them are shot. Got the alignment knocked out this afternoon and drove it to dinner. Much better road manners with the new bushings and steering bits.

·
very disco
648 Posts
Oh man, white letters out... that’s not for everybody, but I love it, especially on a white truck. My wife won’t let me do it lol.

Wait, you took the roof racks off?

·
very disco
648 Posts
interesting move... is your 5th wheel a steelie with the plastic cover on it?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
interesting move... is your 5th wheel a steelie with the plastic cover on it?

It appears to be a nato steelie. I hope to eventually run the BFGs on 5 steelies, then I’ll throw snow tires on the alloys to leave up north for winter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, found a new issue/feature this morning.
Previously I had quickly bled the disco with a motive on a lift, with the wheels on. I had a sticky front bleed screw on the passenger’s side. Upon throwing it up on stands and removing the wheels I found that it has some inspection holes that I don’t believe are factory. . .

Spare wheel & tire

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Realized I’m behind updating my thread.

Replaced my rear carpet & padding with rubber stall mats.

Repaired the interior lighting circuit, and added a few more LED interior lights until I can collect all the bits I need for a headliner.

Mounted some cup holders.

Front and rear security/dash cams.

Ultra gauge on a “steelie” mount for monitoring temps and codes

Rear camera tucked under the third brake light

Echo auto feeding through the factory stereo via FM modulator from Wally World.

110w of solar panels flush mounted to the hood.

VictronConnect charge controller will be managing the battery and loads as they get added.

Much needed replacement floor mats.

Trimmed the front bumper caps, and removed the plastic air dam.

After catching up the maintenance and changing all the fluids I drove it up to Wiarton, ON to visit family.

·
very disco
648 Posts
nice! it's starting to remind me of my old white '95. tbh i had more fun with my '95 as i was less concerned about scuffs and scrapes.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dug into the front hubs this evening. Looks like I caught the bearings just as they began to fail! It appears the previous owner was running them too tight.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts