Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to have the daytime running lights operating on a '98 LSE. Is the wiring already in the front wiring harness or do I have to run new wiring ??? This truck is new to me and I'm still learning the systems.. This is my first British make, so I'm learning as I go. Any help appreciated.... I'm sure I will have MANY questions in the near future... Thanks for any response and/or info...

Paul Zwerner

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
Re: Running daylghts

There are two bulbs inside the headlight enclosure. You will need to get the full voltage kit and remove the headlight. It is the little bulb off-axis; not the big bulb. It is part of your parking lights.

Turn on your parking lights in a dim locale. There are your running daylights, if you want to cut into them.

By the way, why are you doing it for? Some US insurance companies won't give you the discount unless it is from the factory.

Hella www.hella.com however is making aftermarket Daylight bulbs that look and work well.

Look here. http://www.tagfahrlicht.de/daytime-running-lights

My suggestion, if you have fogs or driving lights, get a reduced voltage kit and run those third-party lights and then you won't to deal with the headlights. The optics on those bulbs are superior and you would be able to do a lot more with a lot less.

If not, look at the sidelights. The amber lights are more noticed than the headlights. In some surveys, motorist pay more attention to amber than to red as a warning color. As a Emergency Medical Technician, I can vouch for that. Motorists in BMWs are the worst. They see with their gas pedal.

Adam in NYC :drive:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanksfor the feedback. I just like to have some light on in the front during the day ... I personally think it is a saftey issue .. I live by the old motto "see and be seen ". As a former pilot and former road racer, I like to have other drivers know where I am.. I'll admit it is rather hard NOT to see a a large Discovery, but as I'm sure you know, it does happen !!! I always ran with some light on the front of the 911 on the track. I set up the fogs on my Porsche 944 S2 to be on all the time. It was just a simple matter to put a jumper across the wiring in the fuse box. With the wiring in place for the Canadian market, I thought there must be an additional lead in the harness. I would like to keep the headlight side lights lit (parking light bulb -5W ) rather than the fogs !! Much easier to change when they burn out !! The wiring diagram doesn't show amy wire running there. There is a Black wire free at the headlight bundle, but according to manual, that is the ground... I have not had a chance to look too closely at the system, but will trhis weekend.. (after I get the rear pads replaced).

Thanks again for your info... PFZ

·
Registered
138 Posts
DRL bulbs. . .

Reach in from above the headlamp to the bulb holder BELOW the main bulb holder. It is made from black rubber/plastic. Turn it 1/3 turn and it should fall out in your hand. My 96 DRL bulbs burned out long ago, & I just haven't replaced the bulbs yet. I do use the bulb mounting hole to wash the mud out of the inside of my headlamps as needed, so I really should put a bulb back in there. It may be a 194 flat contact, push-in bulb, but I'm not sure of that. Do You have a liquid cooled turn signal? My wheelin' buddy had one on the drivers side, but mine is on the passenger side. Hope this helps! LRW

1 - 4 of 4 Posts