Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I asked about my overheating problem while on the freeway with the A/C on. You guys told me that it's most likely my radiator and it needed to be cleaned. So A couple of days ago, I took my Disco to the dealership where I bought it to have some work done. I have a warrantee, and I want to get as much fixed and/or replaced as possible before the warrantee expires.

I didn't tell them I was told it was the radiator and needed to be cleaned...I wanted them to come to that conclusion...So anyways, everything is covered except for the radiator! Which is nice because it would have been insanely expensive.

So now, the problem: since the radiator cleaning is not covered, it's going to cost me $460 at the dealership. That is extremely overpriced right? I have never had radiator problems on any of my past cars, and I don't know if anyone besides LR can work on it for a better price...Anyone know??? I thought that radiator cleaning jobs were under $100 normally...Thanks.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
New original rad is $379 for the DI. Don't bother having it rodded, better off replacing with new one.

· Premium Member
3,225 Posts
Any radiator shop that really knows their stuff should have the experience to tell you that rodding a land rover core is fruitless, if not a total waste, as the core passageways are too small to effectively clean them by a mechanical means such as rodding. The only method which really works, and will only work if the radiator has not long been fouled, is a mild acidic flushing. A standard core, in new condition should be able to flow check in the range of 24-26 gallons per minute. When the flow becomes constricted to a rate of less than 18 GPM, you will see heat rise (lack of heat dissipation). Oxides and mudding will eventually become too solidified to be removed by flushing, as all the flushing fluid goes through the more open cores, continuing to clean them and virtually bypassing the cores most solidly plugged.
A while back I took my radiator out, ran a flow check and found it was about 16-18 gpm, had is flushed will acid (about 15% muriatic acid) and got back to 22-24 gpm. The shop charged me $65. (that included pickup and delivery)

· Banned
73 Posts
TerryS said:
A standard core, in new condition should be able to flow check in the range of 24-26 gallons per minute. When the flow becomes constricted to a rate of less than 18 GPM, you will see heat rise (lack of heat dissipation).
What PSI/kPa is used for the water to test this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.