Land Rover and Range Rover Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still having the vibration that every other person in here seems to have experienced with their Rover between 35 and 45 miles a hour. I have replaced my front driveshaft, changed the u-joints on it after only a year because of said vibration. I have had the tires balanced and rotated twice, ( tires are one year old as well as the rims). I have rebuilt the rear driveshaft and have had it balanced.....still have the darn vibration. I'm leaning more towards worn panhard bar bushings. I remembered experiencing "death wobble in my old 1966 Ford Bronco and replacing those bushing took care of it. Some constructive input concerning this would be much appreciated. If anyone has a different idea on the subject, I'm all ears. Btw....my Disco is a 2000 se7, 90,000 miles, 3 inch lift, steel wheels, 265-75r-16 all terrain tires.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
Suspension bushings and/or ball joints.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Also need to check the tie rod ends. Did you install a new steering stabilizer with the lift?
Has the front drive shaft had a centering ball replacement along with u-joints?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The front drive shaft is a completely brand new unit just a year old. I did not replace the centering ball when I changed the u-joints on it. Was thinking the driveshaft is so new, the centering ball should be fine. A inspection of it when I had everything apart confirmed this. Yes, I have a new steering stableizer. Time to replace bushings? maybe loose flex plate bolts/nuts?

·
Registered
110 Posts
is it a vibration or a wobble in the steering/front end? if a vibration, it COULD be the output shaft on your tcase/front shaft. I had a real nasty vibration in there and the nyloc nut that was on the output flange had loosened to be only HAND TIGHT!! so get under there and give it a good shake. although im sure you've probably inspected that when repairing your shaft, you never know...

if its the shakey steering id be willing to put money on panhard bushings, but also inspect tie rods. with the age and miles on your truck you almost cant go wrong by replacing them all anyway.

what kind of condition is your power steering gearbox in? see if you can move the pitman/idler arm by hand. lay under the truck and have a friend steer from left to right and see if you can spot play in anything under there.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly, I'm feeling kinda dumb about this......I didn't check the out put flange on the transfer case. I'll check both of them and give a update. I did check the steering system and ended up replacing the tierod ends, pitman arm is good with no play. Ball joints seem to be original but with absolutely no play.

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
Not replacing the centering ball may in fact be the issue and I would pull the shaft in a heart beat to replace it, even driving the truck without the front shaft to verify if it is your issue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yeah, check the output shaft, if its loose it will vibrate like all hell. its an easy check. just get under truck, grab the output and shake as hard as you can. or just take the shaft off and check that way if you have the time.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Udate: I pulled the driveshaft....again. The nut on the transfercase inpute/output flange was loose by one and a quarter turn. Also, begrudging took the drive shaft apart again to check the centering ball ( even though it is "new"), guess what? it was bad......aarhg! Beginning to think this isn't the best 4x4xfar......kidding!

·
Premium Member
16,594 Posts
So you found the combination of issues. Don't forget to torque that nut to specs and have fun replacing the center ball.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mike and everyone else for the helpful info. It really is nice to have some knowledgeable people to come to when a problem becomes baffeling.

·
Registered
3,198 Posts
So you don't really have death wobble I take it, but just a vibration.

·
Registered
110 Posts
So you don't really have death wobble I take it, but just a vibration.
correct. I had the loose tcase/flange nut before and it shook like crazy at any speed over 40... you'll know it when you feel it lol. but its an easy fix. i went and replaced the whole flange with parts from roverparts, it was cheap and came with everything, flange, nut, even seals for inside the tcase which i was glad not to need, but i kept them for future use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm still having the vibration that every other person in here seems to have experienced with their Rover between 35 and 45 miles a hour. I have replaced my front driveshaft, changed the u-joints on it after only a year because of said vibration. I have had the tires balanced and rotated twice, ( tires are one year old as well as the rims). I have rebuilt the rear driveshaft and have had it balanced.....still have the darn vibration. I'm leaning more towards worn panhard bar bushings. I remembered experiencing "death wobble in my old 1966 Ford Bronco and replacing those bushing took care of it. Some constructive input concerning this would be much appreciated. If anyone has a different idea on the subject, I'm all ears. Btw....my Disco is a 2000 se7, 90,000 miles, 3 inch lift, steel wheels, 265-75r-16 all terrain tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts